GLW? Pullet? 30days old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by T1007racy, Mar 28, 2015.

1. T1007racy

T1007racy New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Looks like a single comb so not a GLW.

3. T1007racy

T1007racy New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    Thank you! Any other guesses?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a hatchery quality Golden Laced Wyandotte, pullet for now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hatchery quality Golden Laced Wyandotte, pullet.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  6. rainwolfeh

rainwolfeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2015
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but what does 'hatchery quality' mean?

1 person likes this.
  7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    "Hatchery quality" refers to birds from a hatchery (or those you might get from a feed store). Most hatcheries focus more on quantity of chicks and their egg production/meat qualities than their ability to be shown successfully. Hatchery-quality birds somewhat resemble a show-quality, true example of their breed, but usually lack some of the required characteristics for a show bird of the same breed. For example, a hatchery quality Silkie may have only 4 toes on one foot, when it is supposed to have 5. A Rhode Island Red from a hatchery will be a rusty color, but a show quality Rhode Island Red is a mahogany color. A Wyandotte from a hatchery may lack the required rose comb and have a single comb instead (like this bird). They make excellent layers, meat birds, or pets, but wouldn't do well at a show, because they aren't show-quality.

8. rainwolfeh

rainwolfeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2015
    Ahh, that makes sense! Thank you so much! I've seen the phrase around the forums, so I figured I'd ask. Thank you!

9. Indyshent

Indyshent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Single comb is the all recessive default for all breeds--no matter what comb they're supposed to have. Even show quality birds with rose combs will throw single combs eventually. Single combs have improved fertility, so some breeders keep them around for that and just show the rose combed ones. Even if both parents are rose combed, about one in sixteen will have single combs, if I've got my facts straight. Rose combs have a decreased fertility rate, however. Count your blessings.

My GLW has a single comb too, but is a little older than yours and starting to get some fancy iridescence on her feathers. She might be a he though so... throw a little h, e, double hockey sticks on it for good measure.

So far I'd say yours is a pullet, but I can't guarantee anything on this one because GL doesn't have a big difference in feather color between the sexes. All of my Wyandottes were sexed as pullets, but it looks like all three might wind up being boys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by