GLW Roo/Hen or Gender confused? **Updated **Boy**!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PeakyBeaky, Jan 12, 2011.

1. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    HELP!!!!![​IMG]

The drama continues [​IMG] We got this bird in the summer, it is about 10-11mo old and is a Gold Wyandotte. Very friendly, never crowed. BUT, it sure LOOKS like a ROO. I know those are saddle feathers! She/he is the oldest out of the little flock we got this August. (photo is from today-that's snow on the bird, not lice [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

We were 99.9% sure we got a pullet egg (no yolk) out of it, as our other 2 birds that could lay(at that time) were Golden Comet hens, about 2yrs old and layed WAY bigger eggs. The other pullets we had in the group were much younger and this birds comb went from black/pink to red within a week of the egg lay. It hangs out with the rest of the hens and has never acted rooish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photo from today
    [​IMG]
    TOP view(photo from today)
    [​IMG]

This is her/him at 7-8 months old with a buddy. You can see how dark her/his comb was before the pullet egg showed up.
    [​IMG]

What is it (it's name is "Toothless")? Thanks for any thoughts [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Roo.

3. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Could it be a hen with Roo feathers? I know sometimes they get weird stuff with gender switching issues. The only reason we ask...it that the egg in the photo only weighed .8 oz...and theirs are normally 2.7oz. Could the other hens lay a little egg like that?

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Could it be a hen with Roo feathers? I know sometimes they get weird stuff with gender switching issues. The only reason we ask...it that the egg in the photo only weighed .8 oz...and theirs are normally 2.7oz. Could the other hens lay a little egg like that?

Yes it is called a fart egg.

5. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA

Yes it is called a fart egg.

[​IMG] Really?

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    He's a roo, and the tiny egg was probably a fart egg from your Golden Comets. [​IMG]

7. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

It is 10 months old? I don't think it's a rooster. A 10 month old rooster would have much longer saddle/hackle feathers, IMO. Sometimes the hen's feathers look suspicious as they are growing in because the feather shaft is coated with that protein stuff and makes the feathers looks thinner. (that stuff is what comes off as feather dust when you have chicks in your house [​IMG] )

If the bird's comb reddened dramatically then you found the little egg, I'm pretty sure the egg came from that bird.

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    That is a weird looking bird. I think it is a rooster, but he really looks henish.

9. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Yep, 10 months...if anything maybe a little more than that. And, the comb went from a pink with black on it to red. We thought for 10 months+, it would have a bigger comb/waddles if it was a roo.

Thanks to everyone so far for their thoughts [​IMG]

10. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Makes us wanna [​IMG] or [​IMG]. It loves to sit in the kids lap and sun bathe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by