1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GLW SEX ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by youngfarm26, Oct 24, 2015.

1. youngfarm26

youngfarm26 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    I got this little guy from the flea market today he didn't look to good so I'm going to bring him up in a good home. Can you help me sex cause I can't keep him if it's a roo.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hmm, do you have any idea how old it is?
    It looks like a pullet, but if it's younger it's more than likely it's a roo because of the size of its comb and waddles.
    No color yet?

3. UberchicRanch

UberchicRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    New England
    I second CherriesBrood. It all depends on the age.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A nice side profile with the bird in a natural, standing position would be helpful.

5. youngfarm26

youngfarm26 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't look to hot I hope I can bring it back to health my guess is over crowded at the farm and poor living conditions but I believe 6 weeks old

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Given the size and redness of its comb at 6 weeks, I'm thinking you have a cockerel.

7. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Aww poor guy, I feel so bad for him, glad you are trying to nurse him back, but yeah it's looking like its a cock based on the size of the comb and waddles. Real sorry about that. :(

8. Gardenalex

Gardenalex Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    I wrote it in another thread, just a minute ago.
    Wyandottes are hard to sex, but i do not think that you have a roo there. Too less redness.
    I think you have a girl. My opinion ;-)
    And i think it is older, around 9 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I also think it's male... Even though he is ill, which might be affecting his color a bit, his comb is a cockerel comb. The little tiny bumps and the swoosh at the top of the comb; I've only ever seen that in male rose-combed chicks, so I do believe he's a cockerel...

Best wishes on getting him healthy. If I can recommend a product, Rooster Booster makes an electrolyte/vitamin/probiotics powder to mix in the water; its great stuff for sick chicks. Thst and cooked egg yolk is what I use when I have chicks under the weather. :)

Edit* autocorrect

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Based on the color of the comb and lack of wattles, I would normally say that it's a pullet. However, the comb is rather well defined in shape more like a cockerel. Since your chick is sickly, that can definitely make the comb and wattles appear more pale. I'm tentatively saying cockerel at the moment... But I suggest posting new photos to confirm in a couple weeks after you have nursed him/ her back to health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by