GLW SEX ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by youngfarm26, Oct 24, 2015.

1. youngfarm26

youngfarm26 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    I got this little guy from the flea market today he didn't look to good so I'm going to bring him up in a good home. Can you help me sex cause I can't keep him if it's a roo.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hmm, do you have any idea how old it is?
    It looks like a pullet, but if it's younger it's more than likely it's a roo because of the size of its comb and waddles.
    No color yet?

3. UberchicRanch

UberchicRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    New England
    I second CherriesBrood. It all depends on the age.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A nice side profile with the bird in a natural, standing position would be helpful.

5. youngfarm26

youngfarm26 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't look to hot I hope I can bring it back to health my guess is over crowded at the farm and poor living conditions but I believe 6 weeks old

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Given the size and redness of its comb at 6 weeks, I'm thinking you have a cockerel.

7. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Aww poor guy, I feel so bad for him, glad you are trying to nurse him back, but yeah it's looking like its a cock based on the size of the comb and waddles. Real sorry about that. :(

8. Gardenalex

Gardenalex Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2015
    I wrote it in another thread, just a minute ago.
    Wyandottes are hard to sex, but i do not think that you have a roo there. Too less redness.
    I think you have a girl. My opinion ;-)
    And i think it is older, around 9 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I also think it's male... Even though he is ill, which might be affecting his color a bit, his comb is a cockerel comb. The little tiny bumps and the swoosh at the top of the comb; I've only ever seen that in male rose-combed chicks, so I do believe he's a cockerel...

Best wishes on getting him healthy. If I can recommend a product, Rooster Booster makes an electrolyte/vitamin/probiotics powder to mix in the water; its great stuff for sick chicks. Thst and cooked egg yolk is what I use when I have chicks under the weather. :)

Edit* autocorrect

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Based on the color of the comb and lack of wattles, I would normally say that it's a pullet. However, the comb is rather well defined in shape more like a cockerel. Since your chick is sickly, that can definitely make the comb and wattles appear more pale. I'm tentatively saying cockerel at the moment... But I suggest posting new photos to confirm in a couple weeks after you have nursed him/ her back to health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by