GLW & suspicious minds - updated pix 9.5 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by superchemicalgirl, May 11, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This chicken is 3.5 weeks old. S/he has been on my roo-dar since week 2. This is the only GLW I purchased so none for comparison, although I have a SLW. This chicken started feathering out at a much slower rate than most of my other birds. The wings and tail were both very far behind most of my other chicks that grew like weeds. Yesterday I noticed what looks like little red wattles starting. This chicken was sexed as a girl, although I know they are only about 90% accurate. Please tell me it's WAAAY too early to tell and that this chicken *might* turn out to be a hen! Thanks for playing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Ehhh.....I know everyone says WAIT for it, but at 3.5, I'd guess you've got a purrrty lil cockerel. [​IMG]

Check back in 3 wks and we'll see for sure! (he is cute!)

3. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Thanks for the response and HELLO from a VERY transplanted Marylander!!

I was hoping someone would jump in and say I was crazy and that it was too soon. [​IMG]

4. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Maybe my 3 GLW roos can hang out with yours [​IMG] (DSO is in full denial and refuses to believe that he bought 3 cockerels).

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

"On my roo-dar" [​IMG]

Sorry, I think your roo-dar is fairly accurate.

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Just wanted another assessment. Said GLW chick is now 6.5 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think we were pretty spot on with the roo assessment, but I'm still *hoping* for a girl.

7. HawaiiHorseGirl

HawaiiHorseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    Im not sure I'd say 100% roo just yet. Here is a pic of my SLW Roo at 7 weeks.

[​IMG]

8. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I'm finding Wyandottes impossible to sex! If I had to compare yours to mine, I'd say pullet.

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have a 7 week old SLW that looks like your photo and discovered it has waddles showing up. Have a 2nd SLW that looks like your photo but does not have waddles. These were vent sexed birds from the hatchery...the fellow at the feed store just says 'ya just gotta expect a roo now and then'. Well, darn 2 out of 5 might be roo's when I bought pullets, not straight run! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. HawaiiHorseGirl

HawaiiHorseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

Quote:I have a 7 week old SLW that looks like your photo and discovered it has waddles showing up. Have a 2nd SLW that looks like your photo but does not have waddles. These were vent sexed birds from the hatchery...the fellow at the feed store just says 'ya just gotta expect a roo now and then'. Well, darn 2 out of 5 might be roo's when I bought pullets, not straight run! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah I got 3 out of 5 ROOS from the PULLETS bin! AND Im 2 for 2 Roos from straight run bin... I must have TERRIBLE luck! [​IMG] Thankfully I can have as many roos as I want....​

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by