1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GLW with white 'earlobes'? Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by franklinchickens, Sep 27, 2010.

1. franklinchickens

franklinchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    My Golden Laced Wyandotte, Bob, has developed white on what I'm guessing are her earlobes. That particular area seemed much redder when she was younger. She's about 6 months old, seems to be in good health, lays a brown egg every day. Is this a normal thing for chickens, or wyandottes? Or should I be worried?
    Here's Bob a month ago:
    [​IMG]
    And now:
    [​IMG]
    Their diet is a complete food, along with treats such as scratch, fruits & veggies, plus they free range all day.
    Thoughts would be appreciated - I might just be paranoid!

2. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    My GLWs are showing the samething. I just thought it was due to the heat. Guess we'll wait and see what the experts have to say.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have 2 RIR that are doing the samething I figure its cause they have been laying steady for about 2 months maybe a bleaching thing. They dont act sick and they lay very well so I dont think its anything to worry about hope someone with more experience will let us know for sure

4. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I do hope someone with experience/knowledge will chime in - looks like I'm not the only one. When I looked at our other GLW closely, she's got some of the same thing and she's a week younger than Bob. So maybe it is normal.

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I just went out to look. My 2 GLW earlobes are gold color. She's 1.5 years old.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I wonder if they transition over time to different colors? I'm mostly concerned about a dietary deficiency or illness, not looks. Thanks for checking, OregonChickenGal

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    In the beginning. all of my buff orps had red earlobes and laid brown eggs. Now, I have a handful of white ear lobed hens and they now lay white eggs. I think what it means, is that the hatchery lines are not pure and my bo's are mutts. But they are sweet mutts, and the eggs are just as good white or brown.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Well, Bob is just beautiful, no matter what her earlobe color is! My two Silver Laced Wyandottes, ages 1 and 2, have lost their yellow leg color and both now have white legs. Haven't noticed their earlobes... will have to look the next time I'm out there.

Curious about Bob's name... did you think she was a he? One of my SLWs is a he that was supposed to be a she. His name is Lacey. [​IMG]

9. franklinchickens

May 19, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Well, Bob is just beautiful, no matter what her earlobe color is! My two Silver Laced Wyandottes, ages 1 and 2, have lost their yellow leg color and both now have white legs. Haven't noticed their earlobes... will have to look the next time I'm out there.

Curious about Bob's name... did you think she was a he? One of my SLWs is a he that was supposed to be a she. His name is Lacey. [​IMG]

Bob is actually "Roberta". My daughter named them so we have Mimi & Violet (the EE's) and Bob & Hootie (the GLW's). Go figure. Her name really is Bob but once our daughter realized that "it" was a she, then she started telling people it was really Roberta. [​IMG]
    Both Bob and Hootie still have yellow legs but they are only 6 months so we'll see.​

10. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I have 3 RIRs, all about 1 1/2 years old. One's earlobes began turning white about 6 months ago. No change in egg production - one every day for the most part - or in egg color, and she seems healthy in every other way (except for a mild case of bumblefoot currently under treatment). I first thought this must be some kind of fungus, but kept watching, and the earlobes just seem to have been bleached. I decided it wasn't something I needed to worry about, but I've always been curious about it. Funny to see others noticing the same thing, and I hope someone has an answer so that my curiosity is finally satisfied!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by