GM chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phasianidae, Feb 19, 2011.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Very interesting. Need to think about it.

I am kind of against GM. This however might be a good thing.

I wonder what hidden little secret might be a part of this change?

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    just remember, they thought GM corn was a good thing, now it's mixed in the neighboring fields of corn and who knows what problem that may cause. just too many unknown for me- go back to the heritage birds that were tough enough to survive.

4. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    If we could simply GM a chicken to be silent, I would do it. Otherwise...eh. I wouldn't personally be in to this, but I'm not as opposed to GM in animals as I am plants. It's harder to control the spread of pollen, but anyone can simply choose to NOT BUY a GM chicken. THere will always be purists out there that will not have anything to do with it.

5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:After many GM chickens have been bred there will be no way to tell if a chicken is GM or not unless you know the genetic backround.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Right, because the flu is such a huge problem with birds and people together, there's cases 24/7, we must genetically modify the birds too for "perfect" poultry. [​IMG]

They will make any excuse won't they? Even the lamest.

7. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:It's a shame.

8. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Does anyone remember what happened to south america wehen they , with all good ( or not so good) intentions took thier GM corn down there, SA had many many speciaes of different corn..the GM corn cross pollinated with the native corns , ones with more flavor ect...destroyed the entires corn community down there..mplus people were hospitalised with severe breathing troubles and skin eruptions from eating the GM corn...You can decide for yourself there are tons of web sites posted by those who lived it...GMcorn south america..when you narrow a food product down to only one variation and a disease comes along which can and does happen, it will wipe out nealry all of the crop and mass starvation ensues.. from a genetic perspective, narrowing down say...chicken breeds to one type GM broilers and egg layers, means a corporation can own the rights such as they now do with soy beans..they bully everyone else out of bussiness and monopolise the food bank and can charge what they want..We try to avoid anything SOY.. what heppened to south america and the corn with GM corn should be a lesson for us all..people who dont learn from the past are doomed to repeat it..

That is why we keep these diverse chicken breeds alive, we and europe lost so many breeds in part because of wars but mainly whe we moved into the commercial work a day world and away from farming..world..and genetic diversity important to both our and there survival..

America is the worlds bread basket..the small farmer should be the celebrated hero they take pride in every fruit and egg they produce.. in a lot of european countries such as switzerland I beleive , the small farmer is heavily subsidised , when asked why the government gives them so much and so many breaks the answer was simple, we like flavor and you dont see thousands of us getting sick on spinach, corn, sallmonila eggs, beef, listeria in chicken, peanuts, ect...ect... and we dont have to constantly recall tons of wasteed product.. just so you know lots of those salmonella eggs were baked back into most cookies and certian cerals and fed right back to you..they didnt throw them out , they just fed them straight back to you..in a sneakey way but they got paid for literally rotten eggs.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI

The first thought that popped into my head when I read this....why don't we just GM the humans?

Of course, that will eventually come...sigh.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA

The first thought that popped into my head when I read this....why don't we just GM the humans?

Of course, that will eventually come...sigh.

Honestly in a way I already see us like that, seeing as how much GM food we eat.

And what's really sad is that what Aveca said is really true. The fact that my Oaxacan Dent Corn, an old heirloom from central America, is not available from Baker Creek who tests all the corn varieties before they decide to breed them, has me worried that my green corn is a GMO strain and I don't even know it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by