1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GMO dangers and animal miscarriages

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LibertyChick, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LibertyChick

LibertyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Albany, NY area
    Are y'all peeps aware of the dangers of feeding GMO feed to your chickens? If your feed has corn or soy in it and it's not organic than chances are, it's GMO. I came across this article on naturalnews.com and it mentions specifically that a pathogen in the GMO feed can kill a chicken embryo in 24-48 hours. It doesn't mention what it would do to an older chick or chicken. There are a lot of dangers to feeding GMO to your animals, in addition to the dangers of you eating the eggs/chicken that come from them. You can do an internet search on GMO dangers for animals and humans. Jeffrey Smith is an expert in this field and has videos out on youtube and DVD on the dangers, called "Seeds of Deception." You can also find youtube videos of him being interviewed by many different news organizations.

Deadly new disease linked to recent crop failures and animal miscarriages caused by GM crops, pesticides
    http://www.naturalnews.com/033043_GMOs_crop_failures.html#ixzz1SfwuzETn

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Because everything on the internet is true. [​IMG]

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

The event outlined in the link has no basis in fact! The comments by Dr. Huber are conjecture and are not base on facts or an on-site evaluation of the cattle. The comments from Dr. Huber are simply his conjecture on what happended to that group of heifers. He has not conducted any investigations, his comments are hearsay filled with his Anti-GMO drivle.

If GMO's were causing reproduction problems, can someone explain to my why conception rates and litter sizes in the US swine herd continue to increase?

Jim

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I don't know about the validity but thought it was interesting, thanks for sharing.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Unless you eat from foraging and hunting in the wild, every food crop and livestock humans use is a Genetically Modified Organism. The method may vary, but even opponents of modern recombinant DNA methods should look at how viruses have been snipping and inserting DNA strands at random since the beginning of creation. Even wild stuff is Genetically Modified by evolution.

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Why did you find it interesting? The "article" said nothing!

I've listened to Dr. Huber's presentations on several occasions. The "spontaneous abortions" he talks about were in a herd of cattle in Nebraska which had abortions after being put on wheat pasture. The problem with the GMO assertion is that there are NOT any commercially grown GMO wheat varieties. When challenged with this FACT, Dr. Huber stated "Well there MUST have been some Roundup sprayed". The ramblings of Dr. Huber are sullyijng his own reputation and give people a reason to discount everything he has done, even the quality micronutrient research he has completed.

Jim

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Did you know an increase in banana imports correlates with higher rates in divorce?! Did you know that correlation does not equal causation?

Sure, GMO isn't the best, but I'd think environmental factors, stress, genetics, etc. play more of a role in animal miscarriages than the feed.

Edit: typo

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  8. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Until GMO manufacturers allow regular independent testing (especially long term testing), I feel it's best to read widely and think for ourselves. We live in a world with too many mystery syndromes with climbing rates. These rates shouldn't be climbing. Do I need to say the A word (autism)?

Toxins produced by genetically modified corn (modified to kill insects by destroying their stomachs) have recently been found circulating in human bloodstream despite the manufacturer saying this couldn't happen. Try http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21338670 or see (for a roundup) http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/story/toxin-from-gm-crops-found-in-human-blood/1/137728.html. Read for yourself, decide for yourself, it's all out there.

Given that the swapping of genetic material between gut bacteria and food after ingesting an organism is known to occur (sorry but the only source I could find in a hurry for this is clearly anti-GMO, but it's still quite well argued: www.gmfreeireland.org/.../GM%20research%20a%20gut%20feeling.pdf), there's a very disturbing theory doing the rounds. This is that the bacterial genes attached to GMO corn may have been picked up by human gut bacteria and begun a process of making their own steady supply of stomach-eating toxins. (Well argued here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...factory-in-your-stomach-think-corn-chips.aspx) Does anybody else see a possible link to autism, in which gut erosion figures so strongly? Yes, autism existed before GMOs, but so did stomach-eating bacteria (in soil) and so did pesticides that also deplete stomach lining. But the genes taken from soil microbes to produce the corn that eats insects' stomachs from the inside after they eat the corn (puff puff! sorry about that) weren't in every meal.

Regardless of a theory that gene-swapping with ingested corn may have made human intestines a factory for a toxin that eats their own lining, the GMO producer has failed to account for this leaking of the toxin into human blood. They specifically denied that it could happen. Clearly they aren't as good at the safety science as they claim to be.

For these reasons, I'm inclined to stay wary, and watch all information on GMOs, not just what comes out of 'authoritative' sources. In neither case (reading 'authoritative' information or reading alternative sources) should we detach our brains. This includes being watchful for those who might have a financial reason to sound off against anti-GMO sources as well as those who might have some financial gain in arguing against GMOs. It may be that some GMOs are perfectly safe. It may be that none are. I just don't see how we can trust any safety science from the manufacturers when they've erred on this one.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

The event outlined in the link has no basis in fact! The comments by Dr. Huber are conjecture and are not base on facts or an on-site evaluation of the cattle. The comments from Dr. Huber are simply his conjecture on what happended to that group of heifers. He has not conducted any investigations, his comments are hearsay filled with his Anti-GMO drivle.

If GMO's were causing reproduction problems, can someone explain to my why conception rates and litter sizes in the US swine herd continue to increase?

Jim

Bingo! The pathogen is not even mentioned by name. It must be so new they haven't even named it yet. This is not good science any way you look at it, and highly suspect.

I am no fan of GMOs, and we feed organic to our chickens, but scare tactics do nothing to promote a cause, and they are certainly detrimental when a Professor Emeritus, who should know better, cannot back up his findings.​

10. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:... Just because something is reported more doesn't mean there is an increase in rate just an increase of reporting.

Likewise a lack of reporting does not indicate a lack of a condition. (In a poll that asked "How many days do you skip taking a shower/bath" in the face to face study the answer was 0 days a week in the anonymous study (same question same demographic) the answer was that most people skip one shower/bath a week)

Besides Autism (specifically) has been called many many things over the years, also with ASD the widened spectrum catches more people.

Not saying the other points are not valid or even not to be careful, but those XX years ago that were 'idiot savants' or 'retarded' or 'Rett's Syndrome' (etc) are now autistic, that's just in about one generation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by