GMO discussion with teacher

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FarmerGrant011, Nov 30, 2011.

1. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I was in biology class when my teacher brought up GMO vegetables. My first reaction was ew. So I asked my teacher why did he like GMO things? He was like
    " well, if a farmer is depending on a crop that doesn't grow because of a parasite in the area, then why not get a genetically modified plant?" I thought about it and said
    " because it wasn't made like that. I think that if there is a parasite in an area for a plant, then grow a plant that isn't effected by this parasite?" I was just in aw that some actually thought that GMO was good ( a person that knew what it was). Then he just went back to the subject because we were running out of time for the lesson. It was crazy that someone liked GMO. Am I just arrogant for thinking that way or what? Sorry for not capitalizing and improper spelling if any.. In on my iPod and too lazy to proofread right now.
    Grant

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I like gmo plants. Better to have diversity of the same plant to increase chances of the plant to not become extinct.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    GMO's are not different varieties of plants. They are genetically modified, meaning an alteration was done that is not possible in nature. Like adding fish genes to a soybean plant. We really have NO idea how these bits of DNA could react with one another. The road to heII is paved with good intentions...

4. FarmerGrant011

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:But it also takes away the true heritage traits in a plant. Makes them better, but fake.

5. FarmerGrant011

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:I didn't say that. I am saying like if there is a problem with growing corn in area, then grow tomatoes. Look at other approaches.

6. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I don't get why everyone on these boards is so afraid of technology and science.

7. FarmerGrant011

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:Even though I didn't say I was either of these, I will give a response. I would be fine with this food, if they at least put on labels " oh hey by the way! There fish in this corn!" that would help me stay clear of it. It would help a lot.

8. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:But it also takes away the true heritage traits in a plant. Makes them better, but fake.

They're not fake if they fill hungry bellies and nourish bodies. I'm not saying I'm a fan per'say of Genetically modified plants; I feel true fear when think about how rapidly we are expanding the use of the technique, but there is no denying the great good that has been gained through them as well.

9. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I think the problem comes in with the power it gives to a few.

10. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

so giving someone a fake hip would be bad ? after all they could just limp

maybe tomatoes are not a good crop for that area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by