gnarled tail feathers??

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
Yesterday everyone was fine-my husband put the flock to bed and he didn't notice anything wrong. This morning my light brahma chicken- who I believe is actually a rooster- had a chewed up tail. He's only 4 months old so still had a little hen tail except the top two feathers were starting to grow longer and curl (which is why I'm guessing she is a HE). I have 2 other hens and 3 ducks. Everyone seems normal/fine. Is this a normal occurance? Is there a disease/parasite/??? That would cause this? I am familiar with parrots and feather picking-i haven't noticed that behavior in anyone but maybe I don't know what to look for in chickens. Any idea? Suggestions? Thoughts?

It sounds like someone was just pecking at his tail. 4 months is about the time that all starts. He'll get picked on pretty bad for a while but after a few months it will all calm down. Unless you have another rooster, then the fight will be on for a very long time and they will probably need to be separated. It's perfectly normal, and they'll eventually look better.

I'm 75% sure the other 2 are girls. One of the ducks is a boy--i don't think that matters?? Its pretty funny if someoneeelse was picking on him cause he's a jerk to everyone else! So I guess what goes around comes around. I didn't hear any scuffle out there that's why I was thinking overzealous preening. Thanks for you info!!

Back
Top Bottom