gnat/ flies in coop poo ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miz Mary, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    When cleaning the coop today , there were a bunch of little fly like bugs through it ..... bigger than a Gnat , like the little bug/fly that is around houseplants ..... Wondering if this is not a big deal , or do I need to treat the pine shavings ?!?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

not a big deal, the chickens most likely eat them.[​IMG]

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

LOL, I had the same thing and I totally freaked thinking that the chickens had a parasite problem... Like mites or lice, but they didn't look right... AND they only hung around the poop. I starts raking off the heavily pooed areas daily and it keeps em down. Some DE might help. I don't use it, but if it bothers you, it might work to keep them gone.

4. Beanface

Beanface New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    My vet suggested when I had trouble with buffalo gnat and other flies in my hatchery this spring/summer..to use a mixture of vanilla and water. Just spray the walls and the roosts down etc. It is safe for the birds. It gets rid of those pesky gnats and flies. I also hang fly strips up..it helps as well.

5. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    Oh good ! Thanks guys !!!! I was concerned !

6. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    Chickens will definitley eat them at some points, but it can also make you sick. Ask a insectologist (Or whatever it is [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by