1. What do you do to help get rid of gnats. they aren't bad yet, I just noticed them today, they are outside not inside the coop yet.

2. Gnats hate shade, so if you can permit your chickens to access the coop all day it will help. Also, if you can get 'no-pest strips' containing dichlorovos to hang in the coop (out of reach or encased and not over water/feed) you will kill any gnats that get inside. Gnats can debilitate and kill birds through blood loss, so you're wise to get started on a pan immediately! [​IMG]

Click to enlarge-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Crowing

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Are you talking about black flies (around here dubbed 'gnats')? Very small, some varieties bite, others just torment by hovering....

In our neck of the woods a biological control was employed by the state when they got completely out of control (epidemic proportions such that people stayed indoors or wore mosquito netting outdoors...).

A repellent that works brilliantly is burning "cattails" but of course around birds one must watch to be sure a fire doesn't get started.
    JJ

4. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    The gnats aren't much of a problem for my chicks.. In fact, they love the constant supply of protein they supply as the chicks are snatching them right out of the air.. lol.. I thought they had lost their minds until i actually saw what they were going after... Now it's just funny to watch....

Goddess:jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: