Gnder of 16 week old silies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tlcarnes2176, Dec 6, 2013.

1. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

Red tag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No tag:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Neither bird is looking particularly roosterish. For sure, the second bird looks like a pullet-- I'm not as certain on the first one. Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, though. Post some more photos in a few weeks for another opinion. Often, you can't tell the gender on Silkies until they crow or lay an egg.

1 person likes this.
  3. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    I commented in the silkie sexing thread in response to this already, but the red tag silkie looks like he has streamers so I'd say cockerel. The no tag baby is looking like a pullet right now.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    With a small comb and nice rounded body/crest, the non-tagged bird appears to be a pullet. However, I think I see streamers on the first one, and the comb is somewhat large, so I'm going to say cockerel for now. But Silkies are difficult to sex until they're older; sometimes you won't know for sure until they either crow or lay an egg. I'd post updated photos in 3-4 weeks and see how much they've changed.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I think the first one could be a cockerel and the second a pullet, but am not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by