go newbies! up to 8 eggs! update on my new flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vsmenagerie, Sep 21, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    So, we started out with 2 eggs one day, 3 eggs, 2 eggs..and then one day I got 5. the next I got 9 and now we are steady on 8 eggs each day!!! I need to buy some cartons, because I hadnt saved any and now need some! lol Im waiting on the day it goes up, as I DO have 20 hens in the coop haha

Im so proud of them though, since I am pretty sure there are some molting, they were really stressed in previous home and with the move. I am seeing new feathers growing in on everyone as well, though I am still finding a lot of feathers and the black roo's neck looks like it has less on it to me. And they have totally figured out that I am the one with the good stuff, as when they hear me, I am met at the door to the run, with them wondering what Ive brought them haha

I am trying to decide how to figure out who to keep, or how to expand the coop for my babies to be moved down eventually!

If you dont remember who Im talking about, this is the post about them here

But yay for not needing to buy anymore eggs!!! I actually think I need to start baking and stuff more [​IMG]

Obviously not all of them, but here is some of the eggs I have gotten [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    If you think it's great that you don't have to BUY anymore eggs...wait til you sell your first extras!

3. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:With 8 eggs per day, I may need to soon! I cannot even imagine what I'll do when my babies are laying, and the rest of these hens..omgosh [​IMG] I already have to find some cartons tomorrow hehe

4. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    10 eggs today!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I did have a question about rooster and age. Is there any way to tell at all? And is it normal for a roo to lay down pretty often?

[​IMG]

His tail feathers are starting to come back in but I did notice when he was laying down, some of the girls would come peck at him. I shooed them off by tossing a rock at their feet and saying NO! not sure it did any good but I felt bad for him LOL Going to try grabbing him tonight and putting something on his tail to hopefully deter it. I do not notice any new sores on anyone and I do see feathers growing back in, so Im not really sure if its bad they do that or not?

5. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    You have a great color selection on the eggs! I'm envious!

6. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:I should get a picture of some we have gotten lately!! Some of the brown eggs have darker spots/speckles!

7. DevineChickens

DevineChickens New Egg

Sep 20, 2011
    I am so jealous of all of you! I just started my chicken journey with 7 hens, but they just now about to be old enough to start laying. I can't wait until I start pulling in 3 or 4 eggs a day! It really is cool to read all of your posts and "hear" how excited you are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by