Go to bed earlier girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KellyandKatie, Jun 25, 2008.

1. KellyandKatie

KellyandKatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    My hens do not want to go into their coop till 8:30-9:00 at night, then they go in on their own, but I want them to go in earlier- how can I convince them to get to bed sooner?
    I have just been catching them by hand and putting them in the last few nights ( I only have three hens)

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*IDK!! My hen is a getting to be a regular little night owl (like her mommy!) The slightest little noise and she hops off her roost and pitter-patters around sipping water and asking for food and wanting to go out!!!

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    With the days being longer they will go in later. In a few months it will be earlier. Maybe you could feed them a treat to get them to go in earlier.

jackie

4. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Do you let them out early in the AM? I'm not sure it really makes a difference, but I let mine out around 6:30AM, and they put themselves to bed between 7:00 and 7:45 each night. Maybe I'm just lucky. I have to get up early in the AM, so I don't know what I'd do if they were night owls!

Penny

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Find a treat they really like and you can use it as a bribe, to have them follow you.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Turn on the sprinklers?

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I hear you on this. We go to bed early and I'm always waiting on the girls to get their little bums into the coop. They are only hanging out in the run. Throw some yummy treat into the coop and they'll run for it.

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Mine go inside the coop for the night at sundown, which is about 9:00 p.m. right now. On those nights that I need them to go in earlier I just throw a treat inside and call for them ... they all come running and in and I can shut the door.

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have some that get up early and go to bed early, and others that come out late and stay out late. [​IMG]

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I live near the 49th parallel. For you east coast folks, I'm farther north than Maine.
    This evening, sundown will be at 8:51 PM. I've found that Australorps are not inclined to go to bed before pitch dark . . . . I think it may have to do with those black eyes . . . [​IMG]

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by