Go to the Plant Nursery get a Muscovy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mom 2em All, May 16, 2010.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I had the most exciting day!! I posted this in the Michigan thread, but I know you duck-peoples will appreciate this adventure best, so I have to share it with you:

I went to the nursery to get some cattails to plant in my ditch- and they had a bunch of golden comets there, their peacocks, and some pigeons-
    in with the Peacocks, they had a Muscovy male duck. Beautiful black male. He was wagging his tail and looking so friendly in his pen. These are their personal pets- none are for sale, although they have a waiting list for peacock chicks. I commented about their Muscovy when i was cashing out, and the woman asked me if I wanted him. She said their peacocks wont breed while he is in there with him- so they bagged him up for me, free of charge.
    I brought him home, clipped his wings and was carrying him into an area in my pen that is fenced off- well, he struggled as I went into the gate, and hit me right in the mouth- and either caused me to slam my jaw shut or hit my tooth- was too quick and painful for me to be certain- and cracked my front tooth straight up the center. "Free Muscovy causes approximately $2000 dollars worth of damage within minutes" [​IMG]
    Anyhow, he managed to get away from me- and instantly my two hens attacked him. My turken has her eight babies, and well, Carmen is my guarddog/busybody. They were tearing him up!!!I rescued him and put him in his pen. Then, later on, my daughter and I were filling up the brand new kiddy pool for my young ducks- and he looked so interested, I let him out of his pen. Oh he was interested, all right. Not in the water- in my ducklings. Stupid me. He proceeded to tackle my poor Quackers and tried to mate her- I tackled him, he got away and then he grabbed Jax by his neck and pinned him to the ground. I grabbed him again, closed him into an empty rabbit hutch. PHEW!!! Lesson learned: I apparently lost my common sense when I got hit in the face.
    I then spent HOURS building him his own area, pen, and now my babies are safe- and he is safe from the wrath of the hens.

He is HUGE. HUGE. HUGE. Shiny black feathers, that shine green- some white on his face. I will post a picture as soon as I can.

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] OH, that is too funny! Can't wait to see pics of the $2000.00 duck! How's your tooth? That must hurt like crazy!

3. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Wow, he sounds beautiful, but also a handful!! LOL

That boy needs some muscovy hens ASAP!! Otherwise, he may decide you look rather appealing to him. You already got a taste (ha ha ha, sorry, pun not intended) of how those wings feel. I have two big monster drakes that thought I was gonna be their new "girl". Beware the wings, very sharp toe nails, and that big ole beak. My guys will actually grab hold with their beak and twist any part of me they can get ahold of. Yeah, OUCH! and it draws blood too. It took some doing, but at least now they respect me, but I can never turn my back on them completely. One put a hole in the back of my leg that took forever to heal. He did that with a nasty toe nail. Oh, and on the wings, it is those knobby things at the joints of the wings that they beat you with. It hurts!! I can see how it split your tooth. It feels like a darn hammer when they hit ya. And, yes, I do still love my scovy boys. I just had to teach them that mama was NOT their mate! LOL

Sorry to hear about the dental work you will be facing. I sure hope he works out for you. He sounds beautiful. Get him some girls and he will probably be just fine.

4. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My tooth is hurting today. Tylenol 3s shall sustain me at work.
    My little ducks are fine today, as is "Captain", the Muscovy. I still find him amazing, even though he busted me in the mouth, lol. I just love the tail wagging!!

5. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    There was no need to clip a large male muscovy duck.

6. Parrotchick

Parrotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Boonsboro MD
    Wow! And my friends think I'm tolerant of moody animals. I got some loose teeth from the knee of my amorous llama last year. Sometimes medical insurance will cover some of the dental things when it's considered an accident. They considered it too bizarre to ask further questions when I told them about my llama- I can't imagine them hearing about the duck LOL!

So how DO you deal with a muccovy drake with misguided affections? I got mine a female but he is still more interested in me. He doesn't nip AS hard, but it can be annoying. I usually pick him up and sit in a chair with him istanding n my lap. I guess he likes the attention, because he calms down, and doesn't follow me around so much after that. But I still have to go through it every day.

7. kitkatbahr

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Quote:Believe it or not, I have seen the male Muscovies fly. They don't get alot of air, but the wild ones, who are HUGE, have flown from my yard, across the street and into the cow pasture across the road. The hens can get a good bit of air and fly high over head. The male was probably a good 15-20 feet off the ground. I didn't think they could fly either, cause they are so heavy, but I have seen them do it.

8. kitkatbahr

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Quote:Well, I had to show both of them who was "boss" by holding them down where they couldn't move, until they were submissive. With one, even that didn't work so I carefully flipped him on his back and then held him down. Every now and then, they tend to "forget" and we go through the process again. Rocky is the only drake I haven't had to do that with of the three I have. I think part of it is because he has a mate. The other two don't as I only have one Muscovy hen right now. They are in a batchelor pen. They used to be together, but Drake would beat Charlie up. Now they are separated.

Good luck with your big guy!

9. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:i beg to differ. my male scovy is huge and flies. i heard from a lot of people that they don't fly... mmm hmm.. is that why my drake used to fly in my bedroom? lol

10. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:I was too afraid he would make it over the six foot privacy fence into the neighbors yard- where he would meet with certain death- their fox hound is waiting for such an opportunity- and after my rescue duck flew away, I wasnt taking any chances.

For those that cant fly, can they still get off the ground enough to go over my fence? I worry about that- if he cant, I wont have to clip again, but I dont know how to find out without it being too late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by