Goal of Producing Dark Orange Yolks a Huge Success!!! (Pictorial)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wildflower_VA, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I grew up on a farm, and always had free-range chickens, so our eggs were fresh, had firm whites, dark yolks and great taste. The hardest thing I had to do when I left the farm was to learn to eat grocery store eggs with the thin, runny whites and the pale yolks and bland taste. I remember gagging the first time I tried to eat a soft-fried grocery store egg.

When I started my laying flock back in the spring, my goal was to have my hens produce the richest eggs possible. They have been fed organic, soy-free feed from Countryside Organics since I got them, and organic, soy-free scratch ever since they were old enough for scratch. Even in the brooder, they were fed organic spinach, greens, carrots and comfrey. Since they were six weeks old they have been in a run with vegetation or on pasture, which included woods, and have been fed all the garden produce they wanted, plus comfrey.

I got my first egg yesterday and I count it a huge success! I ate it this morning, and the taste was out of this world. The yolk was almost orange--just like I wanted. I have been buying fresh free-range eggs at farmer's markets for a long time, but they don't compare with this egg I got yesterday. After the first bite, I knew I wouldn't be able to eat the rest of the bought eggs I have in the fridge. I will have to use them in baking to use them up.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    ALMOST orange??? That egg is beautiful!

Congrats.. [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    eggsalent!!! [​IMG]

5. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Need a "like" button so I can hit it! [​IMG]

6. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    love it, but wait, I thought all free range chickens who eat bugs and grass and fed goodies produce orange eggs?? if not Im not a happy camper. we can not get soy free anything here nor organic. so its just layena feed. but my birds get lots of bugs, fruits and veggies and grass all day as they roam the yard. Im hoping for just as orange egg as yours [​IMG]

7. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    Yum, those pics and description made me hungry!!! [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Sunlight and greens = orange yolks. I don't do organic and mine are bight orange!

9. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:Mine aren't even free range, due to predators, although they get tons of scraps and grass. Nor do they eat organic, it's not available that I've found, and my yolks are really orange. I can't compare them with this one, I'm looking at it on my phone, but I wouldn't worry, you should be pleased with your result.

Wish I could free range and feed organic, ( still waiting on my organic sample I asked for 2 months ago...)

10. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    amen !! I bought eggs from an old farmer years ago, his eggs were so amazing and so orange, this is what got me to wanting my own. I have looked for years for free range eggs near me but none really compared to this mans. and he said all he did was let them roam all over and thats it. I have never forgotten and I can not wait. this is so exciting!! thank you for your answers. and I love that egg!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by