goat ?afterbirth hanging out - UPDATE - it fell out! *pic*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OCchickens, May 7, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I'm posting this for my sister who can't manage getting online very well -- her 12 year old goat surprised her by having a kid yesterday right before dark. (previously undetected pregnancy!)

She had to move her inside so she didn't get to eat her placenta (it was gone when my sis went back). This morning she's having a heavier than normal bloody-mucous discharge for the day after, and there's something that "egg-sized" hanging out of her backside.

Here's a pic - I'll try to get her to send one that includes the goat too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    An EGG?? Maybe it is a prolapse? Sounds like she needs a vet ASAP. Do you have a large animal vet around there? Since she is older, this could be a problem.

Good Luck!

Shelly

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Do you know if she passed her placenta for sure? Sometimes it can take 24 hours to pass. What is the does temp? Yes, pictures would be very helpful.

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    There are a few things it could be all of the requireing lots of experance and or a vet , tell her to have the vet look at it.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are you sure she cleaned all the way yesterday? I don't know anything about goats but, I do cows and that looks a lot like cleanings. The "egg" could be a button wrapped in the cleanings.

6. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Could this be what happened?
    [​IMG]
    Maybe a fallopian tube ???

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
  8. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Quote:What is a button?

Update -- according to my sis whatever was hanging out fell out & she promptly ate it. Seems to be fine.

Love this website!! Thanks so much for the pictures, bheila, & thanks to everyone for the help!

9. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:A button is the thing that attaches the egg to the uterine wall. There are many of these and they pull away as labor and delivery happen. Sounds to me like she had not cleaned all the way out the other day. GOOD thing you checked though. A few hours can make a big difference in the health of your animal! [​IMG]

10. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well thank goodness!!! [​IMG] Thanks for the update. Glad to hear she's doing well.

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by