1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

goat and chicken pasture opinions please

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sdshoars, Nov 19, 2008.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i think i am going to make my own mix to plant my acre pasture with... alfalfa, tonic plantain, safe tall fescue, tetrapliod annual ryegrass and ladino clover. for the goats and chickens to play in. does that sound good to you>

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    My goats don't eat any type of grass. They love the tree leaves and such but not grass. The Alfalfa should work as is hay but thats all I know

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I dont think I would add Alfalfa to the mix as goats love it and when its green it can cause them to bloat as they pig out on it. Mine eat grass all the time out browsing. I have Nigis, Alpines, Nubians, and La Manchas...they will knock you over for green grass and also they love leaves and brush too. Check with your extension agent as see what is better to plant for them as the chickens dont care. You just dont want to make your goats sick.

4. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    the alfalfa would only account for 10% of the mix, and it is what the county extension agent told me to do...?

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Ours are on 4 acres of bermuda coastal grass. That's all they get except for in the winter and they are FAT FAT FAT!

I have heard too much alfalfa is not a good thing for a goat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by