Goat banding gone wrong??

Lrm93

Chirping
Aug 9, 2017
To start, we have banded our own calves for some time. So how hard can a goat be, right? Everything was going great until today. My boy got out of his pen, I looked out the window and saw him standing in my driveway with his legs covered in blood. It’s only been a week and they already fell off?! Something obviously went wrong because they aren’t supposed to bleed either. He wasn’t bleeding when I went out, it was just dried all over his legs. He’s also not wanting to really walk, and he’s refusing any and all food. Is this normal behavior after banding?? Cows never act like this so I’m not sure...

In all the goats I banded I never had one start bleeding or fall off early. I did have one where they didn't fall off quickly enough and there was some necrotic tissue because of it. Do you have pics to see what the wound site looks like?

Some won't eat for a few days after bc of the pain, but usually by a week later they're up to old tricks again. I would worry he's not acting normally after such blood loss.

I had better luck with burdizzo castration on goats. Worked a treat, done and gone quickly and they weren't in pain for days/weeks because of the banding. They hollered for 2-3 minutes while I did it, hopped up and took off playing and grazing again right away. Make sure any burdizzos you buy that the inside portion of the clamp goes all the way to the edge of the exterior clamp (u-shaped). Cheaper ones will leave a gap and those pinch the goat and may not fully castrate. There are specfic goat-sized burdizzos. Calf size is too large.

Sorry I just saw this. I didn’t get a picture, my husband looked at it and says it looks like he somehow tore them off. It’s done bleeding and starting to scab. We got it cleaned up, gave him a pain killer and a preventative antibiotic and we’ll keep an eye on him. I don’t know how he would have ripped it off unless it happened when he escaped, but I didn’t find his sack anywhere.
In all the goats I banded I never had one start bleeding or fall off early. I did have one where they didn't fall off quickly enough and there was some necrotic tissue because of it. Do you have pics to see what the wound site looks like?

Some won't eat for a few days after bc of the pain, but usually by a week later they're up to old tricks again. I would worry he's not acting normally after such blood loss.

I had better luck with burdizzo castration on goats. Worked a treat, done and gone quickly and they weren't in pain for days/weeks because of the banding. They hollered for 2-3 minutes while I did it, hopped up and took off playing and grazing again right away. Make sure any burdizzos you buy that the inside portion of the clamp goes all the way to the edge of the exterior clamp (u-shaped). Cheaper ones will leave a gap and those pinch the goat and may not fully castrate. There are specfic goat-sized burdizzos. Calf size is too large.

Wow! Tearing them off after only a week. That had to hurt! Didn't see where you are but if it's warmish just be sure to put something on the area for flies. Poor guy. Glad it wasn't any worse.

Sorry I just saw this. I didn’t get a picture, my husband looked at it and says it looks like he somehow tore them off. It’s done bleeding and starting to scab. We got it cleaned up, gave him a pain killer and a preventative antibiotic and we’ll keep an eye on him. I don’t know how he would have ripped it off unless it happened when he escaped, but I didn’t find his sack anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom