Goat breeding question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pinkfeather, Jan 10, 2009.

1. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hey everyone!

I was wondering at what age should you stop breeding your goat? We have a 7 year old doe (will be 8 by the time she kids) and we're wondering if she's too old to safely breed? We really love this goat, so we don't want to loose her.

Thanks!

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I don't know the answer, but Kate or someone will be along soon. It may help to tell us what breed your goat is and how many times she has kidded.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  3. pinkfeather

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    She a Nigerian Dwarf.

4. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I have heard out to 10, but that it is not good to keep them freshening if you want them to have a good long life. Check the website, www.Fiascofarm.com

5. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    I stop at 8 because a goats lifetime is about 10 years for my big Boer goats give or take depending on a lucky goat or not...LOL

After 8 the babies are more stupid. It is more unsafe for the doe and the babies come out lazy, more prone to kick off.

I retired a 9 year old goat Granny after her last 2 kids were sloppy kids. I had to work very very very hard for those to live, which they did but required so much time.

Granny passed like 1 year later.

But I draw the line at 8 years old now. (These are met goats I intend to keep forever. Most are culled at about age 6 cause they are more trouble than the younger ones).

Just my personal experiences.

6. pinkfeather

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by