Goat breeds for milking

2manyhats

Songster
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Central NY
Do any of you goat folks have an opinion about which breed is best for milking? Does the milk taste different between breeds? I like the idea of goats milk, but some tastes goaty. Why?

Saanens produce the most. Toggenburgs and LaManchas are also good producers.

Not sure why the milk would taste goatish.. Unless they had a buck around the girls or milked dirty animals.

it also depends what you feed them. good hay and sweet grains give you the best tasting milk

A friend was milking just an Alpine and made some cheese for us to taste. She added some LaManchas to her herd and then made mozzarella cheese and I could taste goat. There wasn't a billy around. Was it the type of cheese or the type of goat that made the difference? Any thoughts?

Well I milk La Manchas and they dont taste goaty and neither do Alpines either. I love their milk and you cant tell the difference. Mine dont browse in the woods or out they are penned and fed goat chow and alfafa pellets and hay. I have heard that when they eat some weeds you can taste it and some milk just has a off taste. My alpine that I had tasted wonderful and so does my LM. I have heard Toggenburgs have a shaper taste than most. I also have Nigerians and their milk is good also ...no goaty taste. When I breed mine I dont milk and they are usually dry at the time. Maybe its what they are being fed. Also if the minerals are off it can get a different taste and if the milk has set too long it gets a odd taste. Thats how I can tell when to give it to the dogs...after 5 days mine goes out but it usually dont last that long...lol...

I think the taste has to do with how quickly you get the milk cold. My girls browse. I love them to browse. I was told it would taste funny because of the weeds, but it doesn't it tastes sweet and creamy. I have Saanen and Saanen/Nubian crosses

Quote:
Greyfields,
I only skip around this website forum, but I've seen more practical advice posted from you than I have gotten in all my 28 years. I can tell you're a real farmer and you seem to know much from experience.
This thread reminds me of incidences when cheap wines sneak in and winds up winning those prestigious wine tastings.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm betting that the goaty taste had to do with the milking procedure and not the goats.

The only breed I've understood to "taste" different is the toggenbergs. Not sure why as I was on a dairy goat group when I was considering them and asked about them. The general response was that their milk tastes STRONGER. I never got the opportunity to try any of it however.

For me, we have no male around. I milk two lamanches and an alpine. I've noticed that if my milk gets older than 3-5 days, it does develope at that point, a goaty flavor.

Stacy

Back
Top Bottom