1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat Chicken eats EVERYTHING...ate a piece of glass!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by epeloquin, Feb 15, 2012.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have a Rhodie named Pearlie Mae and she is a peach. She is not as gregarious as my Ply Rocks but she has her own 'personality' and we love her. Anyway, I have a two stall garage and the paint has been peeling on the doors and every time she has the chance she runs over there, pecks at the flaking paint and EATS it! I have not been overly worried because latex paint is non-toxic. In fact, today I had my sons scrape the doors and start painting them. As soon as she saw the paint flakes on the ground she ran right over and started eating! I have one other who pecks at it a little but nt much. The others pay no attention at all. I always say that she's like the kid in kindergarten who always ate the paste!
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I had dropped a Corelle bowl and it broke and of course, she ran right over and started pecking. I got her away and we cleaned up the pieces. However, yesterday I caught her pecking at something and it clearly looked like a piece of the bowl and before I could shoo her away she ate it. I am fairly sure it was a piece of the bowl because I could hear her beak on the it. Today she seemed totally fine. I am not too worried but should I be?

2. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    Don't worry! I asm sure you know she is fine now. But her gullet has sand in it that has sharp edges to grind it up. Sand also has sharp edges. She seems to eat a lot of non-food items. Does she have acess to sand, oyster shells or grit? If not you should get her some. I would guess she is looking for things to help her digest food. I have processed birds - they pack an amazing amount of interesting things in those stomachs to grind up grain. That latex paint can gum up - I wouldn't let that be a habit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by