goat difficult birth - Help ASAP - UPDATE - PICS!!***

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dkluzier, Apr 12, 2009.

1. dkluzier

dkluzier Chillin' With My Peeps

Tiny's baby girl was very large and her first pregnancy. She had a difficult time. Now she has what looks like long white worms hanging from her vagina. Could this be a prolapse of some kind or indication that something damaged internally???

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    sometimes there are thick white strands kinda looking like worms in the placenta ... I think that's probably what you are seeing. But if you are really concerned, post a picture for us.

If there are lumps of fat (white-ish, kinda chunky, sortof looks a bit like cauliflower, ranging from the size of your thumb nail to the size of your thumb) being discharged from the vagina, that is a sign that the uterus has ruptured. In the case of a rupture, the doe needs to be put on heavy antibiotics, and if she survives, given a good long rest before breeding again, or even retired from breeding. But if they survive I've had them breed again after a long break. If she is a top show doe or has sentimental value, you can even consider having the vet open her up and repair the rupture.

BUT, I think its just the placenta that you are seeing. A picture would help me be sure.

Congrats on your new little one and hope mum goes okay!

3. dkluzier

Thank you very much. It looked and felt like undercooked thick spaghetti. Long strings. Our other goat didn't have anything that looked like that in her placenta, so we were concerned. Will post pics of the baby later.

Baby girl is big and beautiful. She's up and frisky with the cutest wagging tail. She is nursing very, very well and mama doesn't appear distressed. She has ate and drank and is giving baby lots of attention.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

4. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    YOU BETTER POST PICS!!!!

5. dkluzier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bufforps

bufforps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    NC
    That is one precious baby! I love the spots! I am glad mom and baby are doing well.

7. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Quote:Yep, sounds just like what I've seen before in a normal, healthy placenta.

It amazes me that every placenta looks different. I mean, I know the functional anatomy and physiology of a placenta, but still. Each one seems to look slightly different. Its an interesting thing, the placenta. And I must have seen hundreds upon hundreds of them lol

Cute cute cute baby!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by