1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

goat due date? sooner or later?(pics included)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by petchickenlover, Feb 2, 2009.

1. petchickenlover

petchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    We have no idea when out goat is due!! got any suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]at

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Rebecca has riding lessons this afternoon so we will be gone from 3pm until 7pm. Are we so close we should should lock her in her kidding stall or will she be fine? Thanks!!

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Personally, I would lock her in a kidding stall. Better to be safe then sorry. I bet your pulling your hair out with all of the anticipation [​IMG]

4. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Quote:Absolutely! [​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't have experience to give a really knowledgeable answer. However - from what I'm learning from other people's posts regarding this topic... I'm thinking you need to get her into the kidding stall as she's getting close.

I'm going to "guess" she's due within the week. I could be off by a lot though but I figure... better safe than sorry.

Hopefully Helmstead will see this and give her input.

6. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    Quote:I can hear her now "shave that udder!" Isn't she the one that always says that? [​IMG]

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    She'll have her babies when you stop worrying, that's my final guess [​IMG]

8. friendlyearth

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    LOL Well, she has proven it will be when she is darn ready and without regard to our schedule! My husband thinks Wed. I think today. I would hate for dh to be right! I would like to get it overwith so Rebecca can concentrate on her school work! She is taking a nap at the moment because she was checking on Cody until about 2am for quite a few nights now. At 9am Cody was at our sliding glass door. Three times this morning one of the goats opened the gate.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I certainly don't have experience in this (only one goat that has kidded so far), but I think she looks pretty darn close.

10. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    she still has some filling to do, the udder is not quite tight yet. Then again, some will kid and fill the udder a few hours after kidding. Or wait till an hour before they kid and suddenly pop out the udder.

it looks like she may be starting to lose the mucus plug from the vulva, that can happen anywhere from 24 hrs to 4 weeks from kidding.

Point I'm trying to make is, its pretty much impossible to say yes she will kid in 1 week, or 2 weeks ...

I would GUESS between 1 and 2 weeks.

Good luck with her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by