1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

goat emergency- Paralyzed doeling

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cariboujaguar, May 10, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    Doeling, fed/ate 3times today, acted normal, played outdoors all day with rest of kids, couple of weeks old, getting pure goat milk by lambbar. My husband just called and told me one of her back legs is completely paralyzed, stiff as aboard and out behind her the other hind leg is stiff but has a bit of movement. I'm not at the goats, husband did chores tonight... I'm thinking polio? It can't hurt to B complex her right? I told him to bring the whole med chest home and her... I'm so upset, I really wanted to keep her. I hope it's okay... could this be anything else? thanks guys!

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    If it's polio you need Thiamine, right? I can't remember the dosage on the Vit B, I just know you need a lot for the Thiamine in it. I'll try to look it up. You should post this on www.thegoatspot.net too. I know they'd give you some great advice too.

3. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    well she's responding to the B complex, thank god! I think it must have been polio... we'll see, will keep you posted, thanks for the help!!! I have an account there and will post...

4. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Found the dosage for the Vitamin B Complex if treating for polio, 1cc for 3lbs.

ETA: Whatever her body doesn't need she will just pee out [​IMG] I sure hope she gets better.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  5. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    vet said she had a seizure, she is dead now. thnx

6. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    OMG! I'm so sorry to hear that [​IMG]

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG] So sorry for your sudden loss! Heartbreaking. Did your vet give you any causes?

8. cariboujaguar

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    seizure

9. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I am so sorry hon!!!!

10. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I just wanted to let you know, altho it is too late for this kid...that this presents as classic severe copper deficiency (congenital). It often leads to kids around this age presenting with rear leg paralysis, ending in seizure and death.

If you have other goats, please consider copper bolusing them.

Some reading, for your reference:
    http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by