Goat experts and opinionated people needed: ivermectin vs herbals

freemotion

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Western MA
So, waddaya think? Ivermectin (I am thinking of the cow wormer given orally, or maybe a paste....she is so thin, I am not sure she should receive an injection unless lifesaving) vs Molly's Herbals for my dangerously-thin pregnant (probably, running with buck all year) recently rescued (Tuesday) goat?

I don't know when she is due to deliver, and her capacity for food is fairly low right now, so it may take some time to get her weight up. She cannot afford the competition from worms. I read opposite things and am getting dizzy from changing my mind so often.....first one who makes the most sense wins the right to tell me what to do.....oh, just don't tell my dh that I occasionally take instructions....

Oh poor babies! Well, mind you we've only done show goats and they were all fat and healthy when we wormed. I have NEVER given ivermectrin to our goats. We always used CYDECTIN and given to them orally. Your best bet may be to ask the vet in the situation since she is so pregnant and underweight. Hope all works out!
fl.gif

I live partway between NYC, Boston, and Hartford....last time I had the vet out for a lame pet goat, it cost me $330 for him to say "hmmmm, don't know....let me know how she is in three days!" So to call in the vet is the very last resort here, as they just don't have goat experience....just cats, dogs, horses.

So we muddle through and do ok, but this is new territory for me. Unplanned territory. I got the vet to worm the other two pet goats when he came out to care for my horse, but to pay for a trip to our house just for the one goat.....yikes.

Does anyone worm pregnant goats? And what can I buy for three goats, not a supply for a large herd? If not at TSC, where online?

Texasbartrambaby, why cydectin over ivermectrin? I think TX is much dryer than MA, that might make a difference?

Quote:
What is that? Elaborate, please!

ETA: googled it, it is an organic all-purpose cleaning concentrate....do you worm goats with it?

Last edited:
Joel Salatin of Polyface farms uses it to worm his animals, as has many an old farmer down through the years. He wrote in one of his books about a cow with liver flukes that did not respond to the vets treatment....gave it Basic H and within 2-3 days it was putting on weight, its eyes were clear and bright and its coat started to glossy up. He uses it now for all his animals.

I'm shopping for some now. It uses plant based ingredients with the active ingredients being two different plant enzymes. Says its good for all types of worms. Shaklee does not advertise or advocate using it for worming purposes but folks have been doing it for some time now. Joel Salatin is pretty much into organic farming, so I don't mind following his footsteps. Its cheap, nontoxic and biodegradable.

My $0.02: I haven't seen any compelling evidence, or clear explanation of the effectiveness of DE as a wormer. I know nothing of Basic H.
idunno.gif

Molly's Herbals are pretty stout for herbals. I have some now. I don't know if they are selling fresh batches anymore, but it may be worth trying.
Chemically worming a pregnant goat carries risks. Ivermectin is supposed to be one of the gentler ones, but I wouldn't risk it unless she really looked bad. A lot of this depends on how far along she is. Is she a seasonal breeder? It may help to narrow things down probability-wise.

Back
Top Bottom