goat feed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hensplease, Dec 25, 2009.

1. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    is it okay if my pygmy just eats burmuda and hay and free ranges or do i need livestock feed?

2. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    I feed my goats a goat feed twice a day. You can get it a farm/feed stores. Follow directions on the label. For them to thrive they need certain minerals also. And worming occasionally. Goats, if kept properly, do require maintenance. Go on Backyardherds.com. Good website for goats.

DonnaBelle

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Pygmies are meat goats and can get fat with feed. Hay and browse should be fine for them. You will want to see which minerals are deficient in your area and supplement.
    The exception to this would be babies or a pregnant or nursing mom.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have a Boer, not a pygmy, but I just feed him a scoop of horse senior feed (or he'll steal the horses food) and then he eats hay all day long.... he's HUGE! [​IMG]
    If I give them alfalfa and he can't eat it all, he'll LIE on it so the horse can't eat it either, till he's ready to start eating again!

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG] smart goat.

6. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Sweetlix Meatmaker is a good general use goat loose mineral. It comes in a 25 lb bag for $16, one bag lasts my 11 goats for around 6 months, so one bag would last you years. Goats have specific mineral needs and an all-species mineral block will not do.
    Ashlyn

7. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I feed my Alpine wether a dairy mix feed from the local mill. He has that free choice all day along with hay of course now that its winter. Otherwise he gets the feed and grazes in the summer.

8. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    ohh and another question will my goat be ok it just ate one of those sticky fly traps

9. hensplease

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    ohh and another question will my goat be ok it just ate one of those sticky fly traps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by