Goat fence post

father0fnine

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2016
First question, can I use those green fence posts that you pound into the ground for goats. I think they are called t-bar?

Next question, is there a great backyard goat forum like this backyard chicken forum?

D

Yes and yes. I believe it’s called Backyard Herds
Backyard herds is an informative forum, but no EVER responds. If you do get a response, it takes days. I'm signed up, but I never use it for this reason.
The Goat forum is a good one, more response, and also very informative. Hope that helps!

The posts your talking about, as far as I know are called T-posts. You can use them, but will need a strong fence, goats are masters at breaking out. I've seen videos were they move plastic stairs and stools in there run over the the fence, and climb it, or undo the latch either one.
We use wooded 6x6's, with a 2x4 running over the top, and the bottom. Then cage wire strung between them and attached to all the wood. Basically this design though its not my picture.

1616275735135.png

The keys are, fence small enough they can't clime, 1x2 cage wire is good, but nothing bigger then 2x3 IMO. Anything else they may possibly get their heads through, or be able to climb. Nothing close to the fence, and it has to be tall. Hope this helps!

Mine are about 6ft apart, thats a guess. I can't remember the exact measurements. 6ft should work.
What breeds are you getting?
Kewl! 6ft isn't excessive! I can do this, I think! Nigerian Dwarves are the ticket for us. We don't need a ton of milk each day.

Kewl! 6ft isn't excessive! I can do this, I think! Nigerian Dwarves are the ticket for us. We don't need a ton of milk each day.
Nigerian Dwarfs alongwith Pigmes are master escapers. Make sure the fence is small enough so they can't climb it, or at least tall enough they can't climb it if you don't have small enough wire.
Assuming by how far apart you meant how far apart each pole or post is, correct?

Nigerian Dwarfs alongwith Pigmes are master escapers. Make sure the fence is small enough so they can't climb it, or at least tall enough they can't climb it if you don't have small enough wire.
Assuming by how far apart you meant how far apart each pole or post is, correct?
Correct. My question was about spacing of poles to compensate for the pressure the goats will put against the fence scratching.

This is what I plan on using https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/feedlot-panel-hog-16-ft-l-x-34-in-h

TSC has some on catalog special marketed for goats but they're not available in my area.

Back
Top Bottom