Goat food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jp57, Jul 18, 2019.

1. jp57

jp57 Chirping

May 1, 2017
    Townsend, DE
  2. That is quite a bit of calcium. Are the chickens laying? I might worry if they are consuming a lot of the goat feed due to the elevated calcium levels. The protein is way higher than any chicken feed you will find, but that is not much of a worry. Chickens can process fairly high protein levels.

3. jp57

jp57 Chirping

May 1, 2017
    Townsend, DE
    They haven't started laying yet, but they are 18 weeks old. The seem to be running to the goat food because my older girls hit the feeders first and don't let them eat until they are done.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Can you add another feeder to your coop so the young ones can eat in peace?

Tarbucky likes this.
  5. At 18 weeks I would not be that worried about the calcium. They will have all the protein and calcium they could possibly need to lay from the goat feed. But like @wyoDreamer says, a second feeder might be wise if the pecking order is preventing some from eating.

6. jp57

jp57 Chirping

May 1, 2017
    Townsend, DE
    I have the main feeder which is PVC. I also have 2 smaller ones that I purchased from Tractor Supply. The older girls will rotate around them and peck at any of the younger ones until they are done eating. I am just going to have to pull the goat feeders from their field before I let the chickens out. They eat in the evening anyway. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: