Goat Heads

Toshiko24

Songster
6 Years
Dec 26, 2013
Hurricane, Utah
Sup BYC! ^_^

I just ordered my chickens from cacklehatchery on Monday 21st and am just waiting for my babies to get here <3 but I have been worrying about them free ranging in my yard. I have been fighting Goat Heads, or Grass Burrs, in my back yard since I bought this house and I have been keeping up on it very well and very slowly they are disappearing but there are still a LOT of the sticker seeds sitting around in the dirt. My poor dogs step on them all the time walking out to their bathroom corner and wandering the yard, and I have to come pull them out of their feet for them. What I am wondering is will my chickens try to eat them and if so will they hurt them?

This is just off Google for anyone that wasn't sure what a Goat Head was.

I would suggest:
- that you add something to the thread title about thorny plants.
- that you include the real name of the plant or provide a link to where you got the pics.
- that you add your location to your profile.

All these things will get you much better answers.

They probably won't be that much trouble for your chickens, but I would get rid of them to make it better for all involved. Use a hula hoe and pop the tops off of every one that sprouts. Within a few months to a year there will be no more goat head seeds left to sprout and they won't be a problem in your yard. After that you'll only have to kill the occasional one that is brought in.

Sup BYC! ^_^

I just ordered my chickens from cacklehatchery on Monday 21st and am just waiting for my babies to get here <3 but I have been worrying about them free ranging in my yard. I have been fighting Goat Heads, or Grass Burrs, in my back yard since I bought this house and I have been keeping up on it very well and very slowly they are disappearing but there are still a LOT of the sticker seeds sitting around in the dirt. My poor dogs step on them all the time walking out to their bathroom corner and wandering the yard, and I have to come pull them out of their feet for them. What I am wondering is will my chickens try to eat them and if so will they hurt them?

This is just off Google for anyone that wasn't sure what a Goat Head was.
So….how is it going with the chickens and the goat heads?

So….how is it going with the chickens and the goat heads?
The original commenter on this post did not reply, but I just expanded my too-small run for my 8 different heritage breed pullets (7 have now begun to lay, just waiting on my Cream Legbar now).
There was a goathead weed that a friend though I should remove immediately. I procrastinated another day, and it was already completely annihilated when I went to get it out!!! I doubt any seedlings will have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom