Goat Help!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by keithallen1965, Dec 7, 2009.

1. keithallen1965

keithallen1965 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    I have a 3 yr old Angora Doe acording to the breeder we purchased her from is due to kid in january! now the question yesterday she was laying aroung most of the afternoon looking like she was in labor. When i went out to feed her we noticed a pink coloring on her tail and around it like a kool-aid stain discharge not bright red blood. So we pened her up last night and she seemed to be in true labor (This is our first time with Goats, 6 of them three bred when purchased, however I have raised cattle my whole life) she was peeing a lot setting and standing like she was uncomfortable and looking back to her back side also stairing off into the distance. Ok now to this am nothing has happened yet. Can some of you enlighten me as to what may be going on? She does'nt seem to be in any pain or distress she has ate a little and drank some. Oh ya her bag has filled however only on one side the other teat is not full the one that is is very warm![​IMG]

Thank you
    Keith Davis
    Olive Farms
    Marans Chickens
    Angora Goats

2. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    I'm not sure I like the red discharge.. Goo isn't uncommon, but it's usually white or clear, or yellow when they're really close. The yellow is generally accepted as being the mucous plug. Red would make me worry a bit, though it could very well be nothing.

Has she been pushing at all? Grunting, moaning, crying out? Grinding teeth? If she's actually been in labor this whole time, she needs to see a vet ASAP.

3. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I'd get her checked by a Vet just to be safe.

4. keithallen1965

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    She has not been crying out or grunting and is not in distress. If it was not for the red tinted discharge, I would just assume she was having some pre-labor pains. She is walking around, eating, drinking and we have gone out there to find her resting. She has not been scratching like I would expect her to do if she was nesting. A couple of times I have seen her lift her head up high, but from what I understand this is pretty common in the week before she goes in to heavy labor. I have also checked around and do not see any signs that she aborted.

I appreciate your feedback!!

5. vatc1234

vatc1234 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2007
    Corapeake
    I have alot of goats. All my girls have different signs of labor.
    I had one that had a little bloody discharge and everything worked out.
    She delivered a week later. As long as she is not stressed and is eating, I would just watch her.
    For some reason there has been tremendous amount of mastitis this year.
    As long as she has one good teat you are ok. I would still express it after the baby is born.
    I had one doe her bag drug on the ground it got so huge. We got colostrum and that was it we had to bottlefeed.
    We used cold ice packs and lavender oil- 3 times a day on her bag, massaged the heck out of it.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would suggest going to backyardherds.com (of this BYC) or dairyinfo.com and dairygoatforum.com checking this out with them.

I know you said January, but was it early Jan. or when in January they may be due.

Please keep us posted.

Best of wishes.

7. keithallen1965

Aug 17, 2009
    conroe
    Bargain,

As i understand the breeder she said they should be due between the 15th and the 20 of Jan. I spoke with her again and she went out and checked her does to be sure she was clear. She stated she was going to start shearing just in case as she believes she had a buck jump the fence earlier while she was gone. She is a very reputable Angora breeder and well known in the breed and she has been very helpful in the process in educating us. We are still waiting she seems to have slowed down and is eating and drinking and resting in her stall. I think I need more help than she does as she has done this three prior times and is a pro. Just getting tired of doing the barn trot, LOL:lol:

Keith Davis
    Olive Farms
    Marans
    Angora Goats

8. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    check her ligaments around her tail... in a goat that is not preggers they should feel tight.. and can actually feel the string like ligaments.. when a doe is very near kidding her back end/ligaments will become mushy for lack of a better term.. and actually sink in.. you should also be able to see her belly arear drop/sink in... with my girls they have this glazed sort of look to them when they are actually laboring/contracting.. if you notice her tail area softening I would get her separated in a clean pen and be ready to go.. but then again my girls have usually waited till Iam at work to kid and I come home to dried off kids running around my barn!

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I'd probably do a vet call....on this one....at a minimum. She may be trying to come into labor early, the plug may be popped, just do check in...And let me know if We can be of more help.

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    You probably already know this but just in case. With her being an angora you want to trim her up good around her back end and teats.
    I can't wait to see pics. Baby angoras are beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by