goat horns

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by marilyn1, Jan 5, 2013.

1. marilyn1

marilyn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Do the horns on goats continue to grow through out their whole life?

2. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

yep, unless at a young age (1 week max) you dehorn them (even then it doesn't always work) or the goat is born poll

3. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Nice, How much do the horns grow per year? I love the horns on mine. They are about 2 1/2 years old. They both are small goats. She is really quite petite compared to him.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Horns grow pretty slow. My two are 9 years old and any growth in the last several years has been imperceptible to me.

5. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Don't they grow faster on males then females? I think on a female goat she needs to be old and have a big milk sack? I could be wrong but that's what I seen when I went to Greece. I don't raise goats, although my mom and dad likes eating them.

6. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Their born with or without horns(only nubs when babies) She was not bred so no milk sac. These are milk goats not meat goats. Except in my case they are pet goats. He will be castrated later this week. He goes to visit Doc thurs. The person I got them from were raising meat goats. They get very large and thick(meaty)

7. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Thanks. These are my first horned goats I only had one other, it was a nubian, keep my horse company. That was years ago. Country girl then. fell in love with these 2 little things and they are now city goats. They didn't think she could get pregnant as she was 2 yrs. and they raised her and him together from different stock since babies. They were wrong. He is getting fixed Thurs. Wished I lived in country at times like this. If all goes well the kids will have to go. No space here. He wasn't being real bucky or smelly I got them in July so I just figured I would leave him intact. They matured. He goes to the Doc on Thurs. They will put him under and I pick him up that afternoon. Hope all goes well. I'm a bit nervous. All my dog and cats are fixed. It's been years since I had that nubian done.

8. marilyn1

Jan 4, 2013
    florida
    Moo Moo got castrated today. Vet called and said all is well. I pick him up this afternoon. They put him under was a bit worried about that. He is about 2 yrs. old. Was concerned about the age and the testicles were rather big, Vet said it was just as well that sometimes healthier to wait, all parts inside mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by