goat house?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Anny, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    How do you house your pet goats? What kind of barn or shed do you have for them? Pictures?

2. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine has several options. They can go completely into the barn or they can lay under the shed.
    I would always make sure they have a roof and 2 sides to protect them from the weather. But something with 3 sides would be prime. Everyone says that a goat does not like to get wet but I have seen mine out in the rain?

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    A 3 sided shelter is the best and it need to be draft free...My goats hate getting rained on but sont seem to mine getting snowed on...They are strange critters but let the rain start and its like run run run to the shelter...Yep I would say at least the 3 sided shelter.

4. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I found a minature barn for free that I put in my open front three stall barn.... It's about 4' tall 4'x6' w/metal corrugated roof with two windows and a door.... really quite cute...

Thus far they only sleep in the mini-barn on really cold nights... They tend to sleep either in front of the mini-barn which is under the open barn roof, on the picnic table or under the trees... I've seen them a couple of times coming out of one of the stalls in the barn....

They definitely do not like to get wet.... but they love to stand and stare at snow falling....

Good Luck!!

[​IMG]

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    We use the port-a-hut shelters. They are mini quanset (can't spell that) buildings, like a calf hut, three sided.

Ametauss is right, they HATE to get wet. Mine won't cross mud puddles, and will reach their necks way way way out so they don't have to step in it if their waterers overflow. Run screaming if they are outside and it starts to rain...

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is the house my husband built for ours. It now has a piece of wood across the front to keep the bedding in. I don't like the mineral feeder because they are always peeing or pooping in it so we will be making some out of pvc instead. It is about 5x8 and houses just our two minis.

ETA: We do know that we need to block off the bottom and sides before the kids are born so that they can't get under or on the side of the house.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a wonderful way to feed minerals. I bought a short piece of 6"pvc pipe, and a wye. When you put the pipe in the straight up and down piece the other wye part is upward so that the goat can eat out of. I just blocked off the bottom of it with what ever I could find and glued it in. Just pour the minerals in the top of the pipe and hang it up. But it will have to be out of the weather.

8. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    this is our goat house. works well.
    [​IMG]

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    As already said a solid three sided structure is ideal and needed for goats if the weather ever gets cold, in Michigan I know it gets cold.[​IMG]

I have my large dairy goats in my barn in a 12x30 something that has a 12x12 inside stall and the larger area outside. I used wood to cover the regular size doorway making it a small goat size door.

My new doe who is due to kid in January (I just got her last week) was shivering terribly the other night so I jumped on here to find out what to do and was told to get her into an inner stall where she could be completely out of the cold weather. So we moved her into the middle of the barn with some horse panels from my round pen. I moved her wether brother in with her to keep her company (I am really glad I got him with her as it's helped her settle in much easier.).

My Nigerian Dwarfs are in the chicken run and have a large dog igloo for their house. I used straw bales and put them around it and made a tunnel for them to go through to get into the dog house. It keeps it quite warm and cozy in there with the two of them together.

10. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Well here is our contraption. Took about 2 days to build the goat house-lots of interuptions. Most of the materials we already had except the silicon to seal all the boards and the finishing nails. So maybe $5. We are currently working on the fence and it should be done tomorrow! WOO HOO:fl.

Front view from Garage
    [​IMG]

The Goat House Itself-The black thing is a door they can go in and out of. Made out of one of those political signs!!
    [​IMG]

Side view.

[​IMG]

Will be posting some more tomorrow as soon as it's done and the goats are in!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by