Goat housing

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I'm so stuck on housing for my girls that I'm picking up on July 25th.

We were going to build our own but Lowes has a shed for $250 that's 7x8 I believe. It's a metal shed...we would have to cut windows into it.

IDK, I'm so lost on this one.

Pros on the shed:
We don't have to build anything, just put the shed together.

Cons on the shed:
It's metal so it would be hot
We'd have to spend time altering it
It has a wood floor so all I think about is stinky pee floor, we were planning on a dirt floor
We were planning on building a 6x12 so the shed would be a lot smaller

I may have just answered my own question. I've tried looking up goat housing online and didn't find much of anything helpful.

How many goats will you be getting? Ok, for comparison, this is what we are building. It will be for a working wether and a buck, full size dairy breeds. It is 8' x 8' with plywood side, a metal roof, and a dirt floor. I am hoping to put rubber mats in it though. It will be full enclosable. Not a lean to. What you are building should be fine, I prefer no wood floor though.
Ashlyn

I personally don't like metal buildings...alas...

It's metal so it would be hot

install a box fan

It has a wood floor so all I think about is stinky pee floor, we were planning on a dirt floor

install stall mats (rubber flooring) - I think they come in a size you wouldn't have to have a seam on

Good luck!​

I didn't even think about rubber mats. I thought about a fan but I don't have electricity out there.

Nupine, I'm getting 2 Nigerian Dwarf does.

I'm in northern Indiana so I am stuck running electric to every little out building. I have to keep water thawed in the winter time. Plus I think I need to keep my animals a little warm(I insulated my chicken coop). You can rent a rototiller sized trencher that only goes down 18 inches or so. While not to code, if you get underground wire and put it in 1/2 or 3/4 inch conduit(gray platic kind) it should be ok.... A machine like that was only $40 or so for the weekend. Wire is expensive with copper prices, conduit is not expensive at all.

It really isn't bad at all to run. Maybe run the wire into your basement or crawlspace(assuming you have one) and tie into the light down there. You won't be pulling much juice in the out building but normally your basement/crawlspace light doesn't either.

Just a thought. I debated and debated but in the end thought a light or water heater(for winter) was needed.

goats can be destructive... they could butt the metal shed and dent it up.. without the wooden floor kit it would be warped in no time..
when they get bored they can be terrors!
also you would not want glass in your windows cause they will jump up to see what they are and break them out!
mine stay outside all day unless raining....
funny thing is they are scared at night and want to be in a safe shelter.......
love the nigerian dwarfs..... good luck

Ok I think we'll just build it from scratch. What good is a dented up shed? LOL I want to build a lean-to style storage room off the side of the "mini barn" as I call it. The storage area will have a door of course.

I'm in NC so electricity for heat is not needed. I think my chicken's water froze overnight maybe 10 times this past winter and was then fine during the day. If I do decide to run a line out there a need a trencher it's a good thing I work part time for a power equipment rental company...free rentals on everything.
clap.gif

Quote:
I am jealous... I would love free rentals....

I thought you might need the fan more so than heat...I saw raleigh was 100 the other day. Not sure how far away that is form you...

Nigerian Dwarf Goats are a WONDERFUL breed ! Small, and full of COLOR ! Don't generally have the "attitudes" of the pygmy breed. All around ... a nice breed.

For just 2 does - you don't need anything HUGE ... but goats are like potatoe chips - you keep getting more and more. But anyway, will they have access to an outside pen as well ? They won't be cooped up in a shed 24/7 will they ?

The metal sounds hot to me to .... but if you have windows that open - it wouldn't be bad. Of course they can't be glass windows. Nigerian Dwarf goats are a small breed ... but some goats can JUMP really high ! So in case you get a "jumper" ... you should stick to non glass ... we use Plexi Glass - it's see through like glass, but not breakable. Works wonderfully. And you can cut it to size.
If they have an outside pen they can go into instead of being in the shed all day, and plus you have openable windows - the metal shed should be ok. As for the floors ... I have dirt floors in my barn, never had wood floors .. so I have no experience with wood floors for livestock.

If it were me - I'd just build the shed myself .. it normally costs alot less to do it yourself, then it does to buy a ready made shed. So you can probably build a shed alot bigger and nicer (custom built) than if you would buy one. I would build. But that's me.

Also - when you build or buy ... don't forget about room for a hay rack, feeders, water bucket/s, a mineral feeder, etc. That stuff takes up room to. So make sure that's included in your figures so you know how much room you'll have left to move around, and for the goats to move around in.

Goats also need some air circulation (just like other livestock). You can't have them in a fully enclosed closure. Well, I'm sure you COULD - but it wouldn't be as healthy for them. There should be some type of vents (or open windows) or something to let air circulate. So think about winter to - if you have windows only - are you gonna leave them open in the winter ? So think about that to ... you could put some vents along the top of the shed/building right below the roof - so water/snow doesn't really come in through them to much.

Hope this helped, I have 15 goats, and I love "talking goat" ... hahaha !

Oh and btw - you might want to consider building your own hay rack to.
Regular horse hay racks usually have to big of openings for goats ... the goats can get their head through the openings and sometimes get their heads stuck.

I know this from experience !

So we ended up building our own wooden hay racks .. and only space the openings apart by like 2 or 3 inches.

You don't want to go into your mini barn and find a dead goat due to getting it's head stuck in the hay rack !
So that's just another thing to consider while you're building and getting things prepared for your goats.

btw - if you have any questions, and would like a mentor ... feel free to email me. My email is [email protected]

I have yahoo messenger to
smile.png

Have you ever had goats before ? I assume you know you have to trim their hooves, and what their general care is ?
If not ... just ask
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom