Goat Injured Foot

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Daisy - Doe Boar / Alpine cross started limping yesterday. This morning, she is laying around and when she walks, she is not putting any weight on her one back leg. I checked it this morning and she is a cut between her hoof. I was going to put a salve I have for lacerations (used on horses) and wrap it. My question is, should I give her a shot of Penicilin (spelling)?

I have Pen G that I had purchased for another purpose. Will that work and how much to give and how often?

If I call my large animal vet, it is an $50 farm visit plus cost of what is done.

Thanks for your input.

2. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    ...bumping you back up! (Might want to send a pm to "Helmstedt". She's THE goat expert around here, and will surely help you).

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If you have any Blue Lotion Spray, Id spray that on her foot, in the cut.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I would just do as you have described. Use a triple antibiotic ointment and try your best to keep it clean & dry with wraps (altho they usually just chew the wraps off [​IMG] ).

Avoid the Pen G unless you see it really getting out of hand and can't control the infection with ointments.

5. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    You can always use the Pen G directly on the wound itself the first few wound cleanings. It is more powerful then a triple antibiotic the first few times.

To nip the infection we used Bio-Mycin 200.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Thanks everyone!!! I have read a lot of posts on BYC so I thought I was on the right track, but wanted to make sure.

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I agree with helmsted and also I would keep her in a clean dry stall till it healed. If your weather is bad and wet. This way you can keep a better eye on it also.

8. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:Ointment in place along with some hot pink vet wrap and duct tape to be sure it stays on. I do have her in one of the horse stalls with her wether boyfriend Danny. She was going a little nuts in the stall. And he was going nuts on the outside. They were born 2 days apart on the same farm and have never been apart. I figured it would not hurt her to have company.

9. SheriM

SheriM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Some goat people are quick to give injectible antibiotics at the first sign of injury, others are not. The Pen G won't hurt her, but giving antibiotics too often can lead to resistence later on, so unless the foot feels swollen, hot and inflammed, I would hold off on the injection. Also, you could keep an eye on her temperature if you want. A small, localized infection won't elevate the temp by much, if at all, but if the infection starts to get away on you, you'll probably see her temp come up.

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    All good advice. Also, get a good light and cut some hair if you need to to make sure whatever cut her didn't break off in her foot. Like a wood splinter or whatever.
    My second thought would be to monitor her and if she continues to have on and off days on that foot to check for foot rot. Thrush. That will cause on/off days of limping and this is about the time of year for it to start showing up. I use Thrush Away...a purple liquid and it clears up right away.
    I like that you brought the wether in with her. They do like their buddies to be with them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by