goat is getting better

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by picklespickles, Nov 16, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    hey, my goat is getting better!

i have given her penicillin shots, and various topical stuff. she really is doing better. yeah.

her leg is not perfect, but today she was standing on her hind legs, she is a good six or seven feet when she does that, and trying to eat leaves out of the tree. so, cool. her hind leg was her worse injury, next to her throat.

havne't seen her do that in like a month. yeah.

she was also sassy with me today. had to get after her for that, but it was good to see her getting some spunk back.

most of the people i talked to told me taht with the severity of the dog attack damage that the goat "should" have died that night and probably would die soon. my neighbors had left her for dead that night i found out later. they had no idea she was still alive.

but she IS.!!!!!!!!!

i looked at her tonight and she looked like she tried to pee but did't. i will make sure that was just a coincednce, you go but bladder is empty. cause so far, even since the very first, she has been able to pee and poop which is the main thing that gave me hope.

she peeled bark off logs tonight which she hadn't done in a while, too. i have been giving her this treat: yellow cornmeal mixed with vegetable oil and salt to make sure she stayed interested in eating. those are her favroite food groups: corn, oil and salt. did i tell you i was part goat and she is my jerk child? [​IMG] those are my favorite food groups, too.

2. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    i saw her pee in the middle of the night when i went out there to check on something. so, yes, it was just one of those things earlier. yeah. i can tell she's still nervous at night when she hears dog sounds, poor thing. but she is getting back to normal and more sassy and i am grateful to god.

3. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    glad to hear your girl is on the way to recovery - and giving you a hard time LOL

Julie

4. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    thank you. having her attacked by the strange dogs was one of the most disturbing things in my entire life. there was blood smeared on teh side of my house, etc. just terrible.

i feel so grateful that she is recovering and it looks to me fully. she has been wanting to mate the billy but i haven't let her. don't want her leg to get too much weight just yet. but she is mad. i think she knows what she wants and is mad at me. like i kept her home from the prom or something.

5. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    i had family over and she was great. it is odd to say, but i think that the attack has softened her personality some. she was very friendly and not overly aggressive at all. people had suggested to me to feed her yogurt for the possible after reaction to the antibiotics but i have never been able to get her to eat that, even from my hand. the chickens loved it though, to my surprise.

i have seen her stand on her hind legs twice now. yeah! and my family who helped me with her after the attack saw her and were like, wow, that is some recovery. that goat is definitely going to live. i was tickled pink.

6. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I think that is so awesome she is getting better and wanting to mate LOL
    I had a dog that was badly hurt a few years ago by some idiots down the street everyone who saw her told me to put her to sleep, but I am hard headed and very stubborn I took her to two vets - she is now a very happy healthy ( 3 legged mutt ) who just had her 4th birthday.
    I think your girl knows how much you love her and how much you would miss her - so she made herself get better to stay with you.
    you might be wright about the attack mellowing her out, how does she act around dogs now?
    do you have a pic of her?

Julie

7. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    no. i am one of the people who is just now learning to check messages on the cell phone. no fancy camera yet. [​IMG] oh. next time someone visits with one of those, i will tell them to take pictures of various things like that. actually, i am really a teenage boy who just likes to pretend to be middle aged woman in a bad neighborhood and a passion for animals. living vicariously, and all that. so, THAT'S why no pics. [​IMG]

three legged dogs can do really well. i am SO glad to hear yours did! that is kind of what i was thinking with this goat. if internal injuries go well, throat goes well, and shocks subsides, then so she will be a three legged goat. lol. if dogs can do it........

but i honestly thinks she will be keeping her leg. i mean if she can stand on her hind legs.....

i can tell that she is very aware of the dogs through the fence and down the street. she may just stay that way. my chihuahuas are inside dogs and use the front area more so as to avoid stampeding feet. the heeler stays in a seperate yard with the billy so to give him company. the billy whines when the dog gets to go for a walk. lol.

as far as other dogs, at night, i do stick my head out when i hear the dogs and i hear a certain way that she walks. like, i know her panic walk from her plodding regular walk. for right now, it seems almost like a ptsd type thing.

i prepared myself and my property in various ways and if there is a next time, she won't be the only one with injuries.

as far as people go, before we described her as a rebellious teenager (her mom was more the wise matron). now, instead of just saying NO to everything just because, she seems more interested in people and not so headstrong.

thanks very much for writing. i needed it very badly. i was pretty startled that so many people wrote strong opinions when i was at my wit's end trying to figure out how to handle the predator situation but no one really showed up for the happy ending. maybe i should write something people would like to disagree with. hmmm..... i'm shipping her off to join the communist circus tomorrow where she will be fighting bulls, walking tight ropes and shooting baby cats with the rifle i taught her to use. lol. [​IMG]

sorry. need a laugh tonight.

take care

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    My goats don't like yogurt, either - but it's great for chickens! Funny to watch them beak it up, too. Go buy a tube of ProBios paste - so much easier to administer and she might even like it, some of our goats LOVE it. 7-10 units will do her well. I think we pay around $7 a tube.

These boogers live through some pretty serious trauma. We have a doe who was caught in a fence at a prior owner's place and nearly ripped a foreleg off - but she made it!

There is a woman on a goat board I frequent with a three legged goat who does well. We have a crippled rescue goat with three legs, too...she manages very well despite her OTHER good leg being deformed.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Wonderful news! Glad to her your goat is recovering.

It's amazing what animals can often recover from given just a little medical attention, TLC and time.

10. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    now that i would love to see a head strong stubborn almost 3 legged goat shot a gun LOL I would pay money to see that !
    I love the happy ending stories , I am amazed everyday when I see my Dixie running after the boxers playing and I am thankful for everyday I still have her. I only wishe the people who did this to her got jail time, but oh well at least I still have her and she is great.
    Glad to know that your goat will be keeping her leg and it sounds like she is going to recover fully.
    Will she be able to breed in the spring - think her leg will be strong enough than?

glad I was able to help you smile alittle by writting, I have had those days when I really needed someone to talk to myself.

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by