goat medicines

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Aug 31, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    hi,
    i have a question..the lady that sold my my goats told me the other day about some of the things i need to give my goats, one being albon, and then their annual shots and so forth. she says that your vet will order them for you..what i am wondering is if they will order preventative medicine for them without seeing them? she said that you dont have to haul them all into the vet with you but still, i am wondering how this usually works. my little ones are due for their shots in a couple of months and then if my girls are bred this week, i will need shots for their kids.
    thanks!

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    You can buy the vaccines and needles at your feed store. Mine get CD/T. It's about $7 a bottle and is 10 doses. You will need to repeat the shot 3-4 weeks later for unvaccinated goats. After that it is given 1x a year.

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    oh good..what about the albon? she says that she gives her goats this as a preventative. is there something else that will help prevent an outbreak of coccidiosis?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I would suggest going over to www.backyardherds.com

There is a lot of info there. I wouldn't give Albon as a preventative. I would do a fecal first. Probably the best thing would be to talk to a vet and find out what the worming protocol is in your area. I just found out from my vet today that they only recommend twice a year worming with Ivomec. So it is best to check with your vet.

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't know about the albon. I use ivomec to worm my goats.
    ksalvagno is right about different areas requiring different worming. Minerals too.
    Either talk to a vet or local goat people to find out what is needed in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by