goat medicines

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Aug 31, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Songster

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    hi,
    i have a question..the lady that sold my my goats told me the other day about some of the things i need to give my goats, one being albon, and then their annual shots and so forth. she says that your vet will order them for you..what i am wondering is if they will order preventative medicine for them without seeing them? she said that you dont have to haul them all into the vet with you but still, i am wondering how this usually works. my little ones are due for their shots in a couple of months and then if my girls are bred this week, i will need shots for their kids.
    thanks!

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    You can buy the vaccines and needles at your feed store. Mine get CD/T. It's about $7 a bottle and is 10 doses. You will need to repeat the shot 3-4 weeks later for unvaccinated goats. After that it is given 1x a year.

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Songster

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    oh good..what about the albon? she says that she gives her goats this as a preventative. is there something else that will help prevent an outbreak of coccidiosis?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    I would suggest going over to www.backyardherds.com

There is a lot of info there. I wouldn't give Albon as a preventative. I would do a fecal first. Probably the best thing would be to talk to a vet and find out what the worming protocol is in your area. I just found out from my vet today that they only recommend twice a year worming with Ivomec. So it is best to check with your vet.

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't know about the albon. I use ivomec to worm my goats.
    ksalvagno is right about different areas requiring different worming. Minerals too.
    Either talk to a vet or local goat people to find out what is needed in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by