Goat Milk OK for Chickens? I hope so...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by suzettex5, Jul 12, 2010.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Recently we have been getting more milk from our goat than we can use (not enough to sell, and none of our friends are 'country' enough to drink it).

So today I got the bright idea to fill an empty half of a watermelon rind with about 3 cups of freshly expressed milk. The hens went crazy for it! They guzzled it down and pecked the rind a bit more. It wasnt a thirst thing since they have fresh cold running water available at all times.

Now I'm wondering if its ok to give them some milk each day. Are there any hazards I should be aware of? My laying hens drank it too, is it okay for the eggs?

2. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    When I am milking the goats or the cow, I always have several chickens wanting some milk!
    I've never had any problems with the chickens drinking it, except they don't want to wait for me to give it to them and they fly onto my arms, back, head, etc., trying to be first in line for the milk!

If you plan on processing some extra roos, the milk makes them very tender. They gain weight faster too.

I've given goat milk to all my critters at one time or another, except for the horses. (Not because it would be bad for them, I just never had any left by the time I got to their pastures...LOL)

I can't imagine goat milk being bad for anything...it is sooooo good!!

Jean

3. nelgkel

nelgkel Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I give my chickens raw goat milk yogurt that I put in a dish and freeze for them.. They love it!

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Chickens like all types of milk, they have even stolen the ewes milk I took off to treat engorgement. My chickens even like milk that has gone sour, so I am sure that yours will thrive on fresh milk of any type.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by