1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat milkers... how do you clean your milking equipment?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chirpy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I would love to know how everyone cleans their buckets, strainers, etc. between milkings.

Do you sterilize them, just wash with soap and water or run them through a dishwasher? Or ?

2. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I clean mine with bleach water.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A dilution of bleach water will not remove milk proteins. Over time they build up. You will begin to get off tasting milk or milk that tastes "goatey".

You should scrub everything with a stainless steel scrubber and use a cleaner specifically for dairy equipment.

I use the dairy soap from Hoegger's

http://hoeggergoatsupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=3838&cat=128&page=1

Hot water will make the proteins adhere to the surfaces. I rinse well in cold water, wash in hot soapy water with the dairy soap and rinse.

4. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks misspriss, I didnt even know that.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm really glad I asked after hearing MissPrissy's answer. Thanks so much. I need to change the way I do things.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I wash my hands......[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  7. toddntiff

toddntiff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    cold water, soap and a little hydrogen peroxide will also remove the proteins and prevent buildup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by