goat minerals

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wynedot55, May 30, 2008.

1. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i feed my cows purina wind an rain minerals with rabon in it.is it ok for the goats as well.

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Goats dont do well with the rabon...it can kill them I get the Purina wind and rain in the red or maroon bag and it dont have rabon in it. People have tried the rabon and it will kill them as their bodies are to small for it. Its toxic for goats.

3. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    TSC sells mineral blocks for goats. Also any local feed store should sell them as well.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    But - you don't want a block, you want loose minerals. Goats aren't 'lickers' and cannot get enough off a block to make any use of it at all. They'll just use it as a toy.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Goats aren't 'lickers' and cannot get enough off a block to make any use of it at all. They'll just use it as a toy.

I beg to differ, my goat lick and eat off the block very well!​

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:I beg to differ, my goat lick and eat off the block very well!

Trust me, they don't get enough off a block. Switch to loose minerals and you'll see consumption double, if not triple. Loose minerals are better across the board for livestock. Harder to accomodate, yes, but well worth the trouble.

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I agree with helmstead. I always feed loose salt and minerals. The licking takes care of the craving of salt and minerals. But if the body need more its hard for any animal to get enough. I researched this alot after I heard countless vets and cattlemen asking to feed loose minerals and salt. My father in law worked for a animal health company and we used to fix the barbeque at the seminars. I had a hard time believing it.
    One day I put down some loose salt and the mules went crazy over it. Same with the minerals. I noticed the goats eat very little of the mineral and salt. So not to waste it is very hard. I offer it often.
    Lets see what someone else says. Lots of things work for different animals and people.

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Loose mineral is the way to go.

Getting a custom mixed loose mineral for your soils is even the better way to go.

And if you get a custom mineral, it's also considered a feed pre-mix, so you can add it to your raw grains and seed meal and make your own livestock feed.

9. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i use goat builder loose mineral.

10. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    thanks for the input.im not going to put any minerals out with them yet.have todo some thinking an decide on the minerals thats best for the goats.dont want to kill the lil trouble makers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by