1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goat nightmare

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Okie Amazon, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Goat NIGHTMARE this weekend! I was just getting ready to kick back and relax after making some modifications to Ivory's rabbit hutch, when I heard frantic and obviously distressed goat bleating. Somehow, some way, probably by half-climbing trees to browse, stoopit Gouda got herself out of our yard and into one of the neighbors backyards. Though we have some land, we are in a decidely urban area, with the street just east of us (that these neighbors face) being 4 lane and quite busy. I climbed over the fence to shut Gouda up and reassure her and try to figure out what to do. I made one attempt to put her feet up on the fence and hoist her over, but after nearly getting impaled by a horn in the throat, I nixed that idea. Soooo, I thought I'd go out the front gate, much as I hated the idea, and walk Gouda back around to our place. Unfortunately, the neighbor was not home, and her front gate had a padlock on it! The fence on the north side of her yard was quite a bit shorter than the fence between us, so I was able to shove Gouda's near 200 pound butt over THAT fence, in the process breaking my stupid flip-flops. Luckily, that house had no locked gate, but now I have THREE quarter-acre properties I have to walk past, on a very busy street, pulling a squalling and rearing goat, that I am removing from sight of her herd-mates, who are also yammering and freaking out and making me afraid they are going to try and follow. Then, as might be expected in a universe where something this f'ed-up could happen, I step on the first of about two hundred stickers. So, now I have THREE quarter-acre properties I have to walk past, on a very busy street, pulling a squalling and rearing goat, with bare feet and stickers. We managed to get home, whereupon I spent the next two hours picking broken off sticker spines out of my feet, with incomplete success. Goats milk is not quite so tasty today as it was yesterday.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh goodness!!!! [​IMG]

3. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    THAT is a nightmare. [​IMG] Couldn't you have at least gone back home and grabbed some shoes since she was in such a secure area? [​IMG]

I have had my share of goat nightmares, ones that did involve bare feet, other peoples yards, and busy highways so don't worry, you are not alone [​IMG]

4. Okie Amazon

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Well, she really wasn't. There was a large dog in the yard (#1) that is so-so aggressive. He wasn't after her only because I was there quickly and yelling "NO", GO LIE DOWN". The yard I heaved her over into, no one lives there and the front gate was nearly non-existent, so if she had tried to follow me, she would have gotten on a busy street.

5. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG] She's a real lucky critter, not very many people would have gone through all that [​IMG]

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Some days I really wonder why I put up with my goats....it sounds like you had one of those days. How did she get there? Jump the fence? I hope she doesn't do it again. But knowing goats...I suspect she just might do it again. [​IMG]

7. Okie Amazon

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I don't think she intentionally jumped, she's a major tree browser, nearly climbing the tree she is working on, so she probably just put her feet up on the fence and started climbing limbs and fell over.

Oddly enough, she's normally a bit of a B- $%^, but since this incident she has been very sweet and actually a teesny bit affectionate towards me! Guess she thinks I saved her from an awful fate.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Sorry you had to deal with your goat nightmare, but it made a FANTASTIC story! Loved the last line! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I thought kind of thing only happened to me? haha good job getting her home!!!

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I don't think she intentionally jumped, she's a major tree browser, nearly climbing the tree she is working on, so she probably just put her feet up on the fence and started climbing limbs and fell over.

[​IMG] If they can find trouble they will!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by