Goat or a cow?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolf-Kim, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Just for the sake of good discussion. I would like a dairy animal. I have a large pasture with two horses.

Dairy goat or dairy cow?

Why?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i've never had a cow, but we have three Nigerian Dwarf Goats. They are cute and funny and very personable. i'm sure a goat would be much more of a pet than a cow. So, i vote goat!

3. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Goats, every time! More productive IMO pound for pound, take up less space and their poop is FAR less offensive!!

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    A mini cow. Eats less, poops less, good-ish amount of milk & meat. Of course, you'll need to be loaded to get one [​IMG]

Besides, don't you end up with a million kids from a goat? Wouldn't a cow only give you 1 a year?

Sorry, I don't really know much about goats.

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Goats are probably the better option, as they produce well, don't take up as much space, and eat less. But...I don't really like goats. I would someday like to have Dexter cattle, they are a lot smaller than regular cattle.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/dexter/

6. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Quote:If you buy quality goats, and invest the money and time, you can easily sell the goats. I can't speak for other breeds, but if you breed a Nigi, you'll get perhaps 1-3 babies. Which, as I said, if they're quality, they'll sell for decent money. Then you get around 10 months milk, rest the doe for a few months, repeat process. So no, not quite a million.

Mini cows are VERY expensive and will use more pasture than a goat and is less able to convert other foods, such as scrub, trees etc into useful milk.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Make a list of the pros and cons for each. For example, you have to trim a goat's hooves, but you don't have to trim cow hooves.

I have raised a cow (bottle fed) and goats (bottle fed and mama fed) and personally I like the goats better. Mainly because of their personality and they are easier for me to handle.

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Goat easier to house , cheaper to feed, and much more managble amount of milk daily...

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

have you tasted goat milk before? I like it however I don't know anyone else who likes to drink it. Fresh goat's milk is a bit of an aquired taste. If your family DOES like it then I would get the goat... toggenburg preferably.

10. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I like goats. They are more efficient and easier to handle. And I'm sure no one is really thinking of this but I would have no idea what to do if I had a cow and it died. Same with a horse. This is why I don't have these things, among other reasons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by