Goat owners...............

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jerseygirl1, Dec 14, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Is it OK for a goat to eat hay with reed grass in it? They seem to like it, though the guy I get it from said usually it tastes sour to them and they don't like it. I mean, nutritionally, is it OK?
    I asked on the BYH, but gt some conflicting information
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    not sure, we have always fed our goats alfalfa hay.. lol hope some one else knows!

3. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    From what I can figure out (reed hay just doesn't exist in this part of the country), it is a decent feed for some goats. It isn't as nutritious as alfalfa, so I wouldn't recommend it for pregnant or lactating does.

Also, how good it is depends on how good that particular batch is (as with any hay).

This article is somewhat helpful

http://hayandforage.com/mag/farming_reed_canarygrass_makes/

4. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Quote:Really? I will have to reread that thread... What exactly is Reed hay? Is it actually Reed's Canary grass or is it hay that is cut and baled Reeds from a swamp or ditch bank? Now that would make a Giant difference....small world we live in

5. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Reed grass is what he called it, it's almost looks like thick grass to me. Problem is, some say it's OK,others say no, basically he calls it mulch or landscaping hay.BUt they seem to like it, and it's cheap
    One reponse said it's great, another didn't really care for it

Edited because I think it's reed canary grass, which someone said is good for them

6. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Thanks, that what I was told, also. Looks like I am getting a good deal, then

7. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I have 10 acres of Reed canary grass that I round bale several times a year. If you cut it when it is young it makes good hay, even my horses eat it durring the winter. But if it gets older and taller it starts to get stalky(?) and then it is about worthless because even the goats see it only as bedding...JMO

8. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I see, thanks! They seem to like it so far! I just didnt' want them to eat the equivalent of 10 big macs a day with this hay unless I knew it was good for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by