Goat People-Settle this for me

coffeemama

Barista Queen
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Oregono
Ok, so I thought that I had read that Nigerian dwarf goats produced the most milk per pound of goat, of any goat breed and that they had the highest milk fat. I'm not sure where I read that, but I'm certain all or part of that is true. Does anyone know? I don't have goats yet, but I'm just curious because it came up in another thread.
big_smile.png

Highest milk fat goes to Nubians (I believe). Don't know about the other part ... my ND's are only three months old so I haven't gotten into milking yet. Just learning all that myself.

Nubians have the highest butterfat of the larger breeds...I think you'd get about the same percentage of butterfat with a Nigie. App. 11% in some cases. Of course, butterfat and production is going to vary from goat to goat...

Not sure about production by pound? I do know that the Nigies can produce a lot of milk for their small size, but I don't know the numbers, sorry!

And, like I said, all of this varies. You're going to have a better chance of having a high-producing goat if she came from a well-bred line, bred for dairy.

I raise Nigis and it depends on the milk lines in each breed. I have some that are really good milkers and some that only give a little. My LaMancha give quite alot of milk over a gallon a day and she is my best milker. It all depends on genteics and they have got to be wonderful to beat the bigger breeds. Udder size and genetics...

My Navaho friend, Emerson, reccommended this website, and I have found it to be very, very, helpful! Dont let the name put you off, it has abundant resources for milkers, pets, and just goats in general, and I have it bookmarked for emergencies. All goat newbies ought to give it a looksee, but if you have a weak stomach, stay away from the pictures on Cyclopia:sick

Back
Top Bottom