goat pill question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, May 15, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    a very sweet lady from this forum made up some copper bolus' for me but here is the problem..the feed store lady talked me into getting this plunger looking thing instead of a syringe to get them down their throats..well, it was too small all the way around! i took the pill and put the contents in some cherry pie filling and chicken scratch and gave it to him..do you think that will be ok? will it help him at all like that??
    i have no clue at all how i am going to get the girls to take theirs because he was the smallest and with me and my son, we couldnt get his mouth open long enough to get it in!

2. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Try crushing the bolus and putting it in peanut butter. It's hard for goats to resist [​IMG]

3. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    oh good, so they dont necessarily have to be whole then?
    thats what i was worried about because there was no way i was getting that pill down his throat..he was mad! [​IMG]

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:[​IMG] If you only really knew her [​IMG]

5. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    [​IMG]

6. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    When I bolus mine I give 1 gram per 22 lbs of goat. The boluses that you can get are for cattle weight and need to be taken apart and measured accordingly. Sometimes I use empty capsules to dose mine or a syringe thats had the end cut off and put a little probios then the rods of copper and then somemore probios gel. Squirt it in the very back and they swallow it. You dont want to ver copper them either.

7. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:Not to worry they were measured per your instructions Chaty [​IMG]

8. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    tomorrow i am going to try to give the girls their pills..honestly, i never would have ever thought a goat would be so hard to hold down..he reared his head back and got me with his horns..he didnt mean to do it but still, after that i decided to just let him eat it with something sugary. how long will it be before their fur stops turning red? they look really odd.

9. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:It really depends on how red your goats are. I have a doe whose hind quarters started turning red 2 months ago so I bolused her at the beginning of April. If I look at her undercoat I can see the difference in the color.

10. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    its the backs of their legs...its a rust color, i guess you could say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by