goat problem

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, May 6, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    for whatever reason, my 2 girl goats will not shut up!! they are fed, healthy, and happy but for the past couple of weeks its been nonstop crying, bleating and being really aggressive..not mean but really pushy. my wether is fine, hes not loud at all! i have to make them be more quiet before my neighbors kill me!

2. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I have a doe that's the same way. She never shut's up! Maybe they're in heat or maybe they just want you to pull your hair out [​IMG]

3. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I had one like that. I wormed her and she got quiet. This lead me to believe that she was not getting satisfied no matter how much I fed her because the worms were pulling too much. I follow a program and everyone is seen to regularly, but with all the rain we have had I guess the worms got the jump on me.

They could be in heat- how old are they?

4. My GD has 3, and they NEVER shut up, This week has really been bad but I think its a lot to do with the weather it has rained so much, we have gotten almost 5 inches of rain since May 1st.Supposed to rain until sat anyway,should have gotten past the drought we have had for the last few years. [​IMG] marrie

5. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    5 months old..hmm..worming them. i could try that because thats how they act, as if they are starving to death!

6. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Quote:Whenever my goats are acting unusual with no other symptoms, I will start with worming. You might need to change wormers if you have been using the current kind for several months. The parasites can build up a resistance. I just had to switch last month.

7. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    the lady that sold them to me said to worm them once a year!
    what kind should i use? and why is the boy not crying out?
    oh they are sooo loud! now, when i go outside, they quiet down for a bit but then they start calling to each other.

8. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    Quote:i hear that, our yard flooded!

9. hollyk

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Quote:I wish you could worm once a year! Most vets and goat folks will tell you that in the spring and fall especially- you need to worm every 30 days. Now I personally am trying to get away form that by using fecal testing to see who needs it and such. However, while you are on this learning curve- worm every 30 days. I use Ivomec injectable for cattle- for a goat give 1cc/50lbs orally. I have also had great success with Safegaurd for goats. Both of these can be found in the local feed store or TSC. Safeguard is cheaper and is a good product. I used it for 2.5 years until there was a resistance to it in my herd. Ivomec is more expensive, but it also kills lice, mites and other skin parasites. With all the rain we have had ( I am in East Texas) it is just impossible to avoid worming. Your wether my have a natural resistance to the parasites. I am in the process of determining who in my herd had the greatest resistance and who has the least. Those with the least resistance will be sold. Of course, mine are not pets per say, they must produce and keep the costs down. However, I do love them and there is one that can stay regardless of how worm resistant she is!

10. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    You didn't say what kind of goats. The pygmy and dwarf varieties can go into heat any time of the year. Not that they all do, but it is a possibility. Also you could try a CD and T shot. They may be having some problems with the overeating bacteria... (all in addition to worming).

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by