Goat proof chicken feeder????

zookeeper15133

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2010
SW PA
I know a lot of people will get a good laugh from this. I know this topic has been covered before... but with no good answers.

My new electric poultry netting is coming today. My goats will share the area for the days.
I like this idea, has anyone tried it? I was thinking about putting another wall on the edges, so hopefully the goats can't make the last turn. I have 2 pygmy does. Please anyone?

"This is how I'd do it. A basic plywood box with a locking lid. You could make the bottom out of wire if you don't have poo machines. Then you wouldn't have to clean the box out as much.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1839/foodboxfq0.jpg

You'd need to make this box heavy enough or anchor it down so mr goat won't knock it over to get the food." from FutureChickenMan.

I have feeders for chickens and geese I've built to keep goats and sheep out. You just a strong wooden box, hinge the lid, put a hasp on the lid , cut holes in the lid of a size that the birds in question can get to the food, but, the goats can't. Nail the whole works to a barn wall.

If you need a range feeder-put a waterproof roof over a similar arrangement, and wire it to a metal t post, or screw it to a wood fence post.

Quote:
But how do I keep the goats off of it? This is the best one I've seen anywhere! Thank you!

Just plan on them getting on top. Make the roof strong.

Or... put the feeder body on the outside of the fence with the chicken access through the fence.

I am moving my Goats out of the run area for the chickens this time around.

This is why I don't have goats!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom