goat question about their droppings

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by adorable, Feb 19, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    The 2 new goats that i purchased about 2 weeks ago. THeir droppings where like going like a dog. I feed them sweet feed ,oats and barley. With in 2 days there dropping where normal. Pellet like and loose. Come out one by one. SOrry the only way i can destribe it. NOw i ran out of sweet feed. So their where getting barley ,oats.and some crack corn. Their dropping started to go back the same as when i purchased them. What is up with that. I did buy a bag of sweet feed today. Is this normal. What makes their droppings so hard and clumpy?[​IMG].....My other goats were on the same feed. This didnt make any change in their droppings.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    any change in feed can make them go to 'dog poo logs' which is a step away from scouring (diarreah) those two you just got may have more sensitive stomachs- as a rule goats should be kept on a very strict diet, same amt, same kind, same mix, same time every day. If yours are used to unpredictable feeds and routines they might not ave problems but these new ones might. It can also be an indication of worms, have they been wormed? It can also be as simple as stress related...

3. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Their diet changes their droppings. Different breeds will have different reactions to the changes. Yours might be use to the way you feed and the new ones are on strange food(not what they are use to from their other home?).

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Goat droppings are supposed to look like berries. They should NOT have poo like a dog.

You switching back and forth with grain is likely making them runny. That and the stress of moving..

5. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Can i deworm them while they are pregnant?

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:What kind of dewormer do you have?

7. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I know they are suppose look like berries. i am not switching back and forth. I just ran out of sweat feed..They still get the other grains. At the same time. .......So when they clump up. Means they are close to getting the runs. THis can be so confuseing.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    How much grain are you giving? It's more likely the runny poo is from digestive upset than from worms.

9. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I dont have any. The vet comes out and does it for me. But that is for the whole herd. SO i was thinking that i pick up the deworming from her to do these two goats.

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    It is still more likely from digestive upset than from worms. But, if you are determined to worm, Ivermectin is safe for pregger goaties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by