goat question

AhBee01

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
yo. ohio
Why on earth would my goat stay up all night screaming?
I thought she was cought up on something, so I go running out there and she seemed fine, when in the barn and ate leaves from me! She seems fine.
Nothing was out there. My neighbor said she has heard them a few nights in a row!
I'm at a loss!
TIA
Brenda

I have 3 and we had them for 2 and a half yrs!
All I can think of is maybe her brothers won't let her in at night!
Brenda

Maybe! She could be coming in heat? Sick? Not getting her share of the food?

If you have had them that long something is really bugging her, But I don't have any other answer. Check to be sure she is having bowel movements and is eating and drinking. Check her teeth to see if she has one infected.

Heat could be, she is eating and drinking good, and seems happy.
She does have a bag filling, she cannot be kidding, cuz my boys are fixed!
This has happened before and she got a shot. Other people said to milk her a few times then less and less so she will dry up. I tried that, it lasted a few months and she has bagged up again. This happened on only one side.
I didn't want to try to milk her again, cuz I didn't want to open her up to infection! She doesn't seem to be in any pain and I see no signs of infection.
Makes me wonder if her brothers are enjoying some milk, lol!
Brenda

Sounds like heat to me and also a hormone imbalance. If you arent planning on breeding her I would have her spayed and it will still the false pregnancies and make her more calm with no heat anymore. I know my girls can get pretty loud when they come into heat and they do scream everytime they hear me...if her udder keeps filling sounds like a false pg and hormonal also.

More likely to be precocious udder than hydrometria (false pregnancy). And I'd wager that she's in heat, thats why the yelling.

Thanks guys, I do think it is precocious udder, what do you do when it happens? Should I milk her or let it be? Should I have the vet come out and give her a shot? It didn't last very long last time. She is part pygmy part Nigerian dwarf. How many time do they come into heat in a year?

Back
Top Bottom