Goat Question

emalin

Songster
7 Years
Jan 12, 2014
Sierra Nevada Foothills, California
I inherited two Nubian does when I bought a small farm. They had a salt lick but not complete loose minerals. I set up free choice minerals up for them and now both, but one in particular, are gorging on it. I took it away because it didn’t seem healthy. Then started rationing it. Im using MannaPro—noting especially tasty in there.

I’ve heard that goats regulate themselves, but IDK. Am I right I’m assuming that as they resolve deficiencies, I can put the free choice feeder back up & they won’t eat themselves to death?

Both are fairly healthy goats. The one that really goes crazy for minerals has a rough coat & is smaller, not as pretty and well formed. You wouldn’t look at her and think she was sickly though.

They should only consume what they need. If they are deficient they may eat too much initially. I generally see more mineral consumption when mine are on hay, and less on pasture.

I also provide free choice baking soda here for digestive health. It will satisfy some of the salt cravings too.

I think what you are doing is probably best by limiting the minerals for a bit. You could also put out a cattle mineral block which they can lick at all day and not get as much. We provide both, a loose goat mineral and a cattle block. The block can be a problem if the goats are using their teeth on it. It also doesn't contain copper, so they shouldn't be the only mineral source.

I am in a minority here. I used to put out an iodized salt lick and nothing else. If it were me, I would take a fecal sample and have it tested for parasites. If she is skinny and not responding to good feed I would definitely have a blood sample taken and have her checked for Johnes.

Back
Top Bottom